Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dan W
  • Central NJ, NJ
Votes |
Replacing Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Dan W
  • Central NJ, NJ
Posted Mar 20 2010, 10:56

I just had a tenant move out and she took the cabinet doors under the kitchen sink (who knows why!). Overall, the cabinets are in pretty good shape so I'd hate to replace them all. Anyone have ideas on where to get replacement cabinet doors?

User Stats

Votes
Andy J.
  • Wholesaler
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Mar 20 2010, 07:15

Check out Habitat Re-Store (google search "habitat to restore new jersey". I believe there's a few of these in Jersey. It's a store that takes donations of building materials when people are remodeled or tearing down places. My local store here has an enormous room full of all shapes, sizes, and finishes of cabinets. It's a good place to know about. Plus, if you're doing any rehabs or remodels you can give them the outdated materials as a donation (i.e. tax deduction).

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied Mar 20 2010, 08:06

I've ordered from these guys:

http://www.refacedepot.com/index.aspx

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David J.
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Mar 21 2010, 06:00

I have ordered from these guys.

www.lakesidemoulding.com

Take a look. They turned out great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47410650@N05/

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey K.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Mar 21 2010, 06:10

If you would have painted the brick and had SS appliances I would have thought that rental was a 500k flip. nice job!

User Stats

Votes
David J.
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Mar 22 2010, 03:10

Thanks Jeff. Hardly 500k. It was a $17,500 gem and a 7k rehab that rents for $700 a month.

Account Closed
  • OR
Votes |
  • OR
Replied Mar 22 2010, 03:19

Nice color on the walls, David. What did you use?

Dan, if all else fails, you can have a cabinet shop make you matching doors. Two custom doors will be a lot cheaper than replacing all the cabinet doors.

It won't work under the sink, but for upper cabinets, you can replace with glass front doors and they don't have to match and they are an upgrade.

User Stats

Votes
David J.
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Mar 22 2010, 04:21

Thanks on the paint... "Sesame" was the color. Walmart paint.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Turner
Pro Member
#3 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Mar 23 2010, 00:54

I know this is getting a bit off topic, but

David, great job! I love the wall color too. I'll have to try it on my next one. Those are real hardwood floors, right (not laminate?). They look great. Did you refinish them or install them?

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Turner
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Mar 23 2010, 00:58

Also David, I looked at www.lakesidemoulding.com and am curious. Did you use the wood doors or the MDF doors? I have never heard of using MDF for cabinet doors. It seems with all the messy wetness in a kitchen they may get ruined easier.

User Stats

Votes
David J.
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Mar 23 2010, 01:28

Thanks Brandon. The hardwoods were original (1940). It is amazing what people will cover up with horrible looking carpet. I refinished them myself. Rented the equipment from Home Depot and used a waterbased polyurethane. 3 rooms totaling 600 sq ft in one day. Working the machines takes a bit of practice so start in a closet, but my wife (110 lbs) can handle it. The poly dries quick and every couple years I just mop the floors a couple times and add a few more coats and they will look new again. The maintenance is really minimal and they really look good. No stain, No oils, No fumes. Each coat dries in an hour. I personally don't think it lasts as long as oil, but they get scratched up in a rental long before they wear out. Mop and reapply in 20 minutes to fix that.

As for the doors, MDF if the way to go for me. I can not beat $15 for a raised panel door. Prime, paint, and hang and you are out. They can rip one off the wall and I just charge them and order a new one. My buddy does all his flips with them as well and really gets a great response. I think the 2 coats would seal them pretty well from the elements. I use Kilz and a water base finish paint (Sherwin Williams "Casa Blanca"). I have not had a problem at all, but only have 4 yrs experience with them. They even guarantee the doors from warping, but I don't have knowledge about how that works. I was apprehensive at first, due to the online purchase being final, but they are a dream to work with and I think the product is great. I just measure and order the doors the first week on a 3 week rehab, and then hang the doors last. I even get my cabinet hardware on ebay.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Nachatilo
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Mar 27 2010, 12:46

Depends on price range. Buying replacement doors starts to get as expensive as just replacing the cabinets.

If it's a low-end rental, you can just replace all the doors with 3/4 inch plywood.

User Stats

Votes
Frank Eimiller
  • Fond Du Lac, WI
Votes |
  • Fond Du Lac, WI
Replied Feb 26 2016, 11:27

Sorry for bumping the old post but thanks for your shared information David, will definitely help me! 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Mar 9 2017, 07:44

If you have Ikea cabinets you will be able to order replacement parts (including doors) from them, even if they do not still market that particular model in their current catalog.

You will have to do some digging on the phone and online but you will be able to order them and they will take about a week to make. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 10 2020, 15:18

@David J. Hi David! I know this thread is from over 10 years ago. Would you still recommend Lakeside Moulding? How did those cabinets hold up for you? Or is there another company you'd recommend now-a-days?

Thanks in advance! We just bought our first live-in flip and cabinets are next on our list!

User Stats

Votes
David J.
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Oct 28 2020, 11:35

@Ashley Petersen We still order from them.  They are the least expensive and hold up just fine.