What happens with "last months rent" if tenant resigns?

What happens with "last months rent" if tenant resigns?

Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 2 votes

I had my tenants pay first and last months rent wen signing plus a security deposit.

Their year is almost up and they would like to resign. I gave them notification that I will be raising rent on this new contract.

Should last months rent that they paid in the beginning just get transferred to the new contract plus the rent increase? They were asking about not paying rent for this month since they already paid for it but then the would just have to give me a new last months rent on the new contract. Am I correct in this thinking?

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@Brett M. I always transfer the last months rent to the new lease, they technically are not in their last month, unless they are moving out. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Brett M. I always transfer the last months rent to the new lease, they technically are not in their last month, unless they are moving out. 

  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Brett M.

    Same as @Kim Meredith Hampton I always transfer to the new lease and have never once been challenged on it. 

    However, it is an interesting point since although it's not the last month of occupancy it is the "last month" of the current contract - they could claim to just want to re-pay it at the start of the new contract. If push comes to shove it may come down to the wording of the lease. And if it gets pushed that hard I'd reconsider signing that new lease......

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Yep I just asked them I can do it the two ways

    A) transfer over previous last months rent plus the rent increase

    or 

    B) when they resign charge them a new first and last months rent.

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    I guess the upside for option B is they they could get a little short term cash but then they resign they will be hit with a larger bill.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y

    Your policy is "last month's rent plus deposit."

    If they use the last month's rent on this lease, then you will have to charge them a new last month's rent for the new lease. Either way, they are paying last month's rent on the new lease, so they should just push the existing payment to the next lease.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Leominster, MA · Member since 2022 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    2y

    @Brett M.

    1. Keep rent escrowed

    2. Let them know it will be used at the end of their new lease and that they will need to pay the difference between the amount escrowed and the new rate

    Issue this in writing

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.