Duplex to triplex in the Philadelphia area. Zoning

Duplex to triplex in the Philadelphia area. Zoning

Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 4 votes
I'm currently looking into buying a duplex and the possibility of turning it into a triplex. It's in the Philadelphia area and I'm just curious on the proses and if anyone has had any experience with this before. Any and all info is greatly appreciated.
0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Joseph ScoreseBusiness Member
Banker · Philadelphia · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 631 votes
9y

Hi @Dominic Punzo,

Welcome to BP!

Your question could have a double edge sword.

The Philadelphia Neighborhoods are drastically changing zoning through there RCO's and CDC's. Which means under any zoning you could lose your 'by right' allowance to change the property but need a variance. We have educational networking events with Diversified Investors Group monthly and we have zoning attorney's that attend. Also, you should consider attending the CDC zoning meeting where your property is to meet and greet zoning attorneys.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Joe Scorese

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 167 posts · 64 votes
    9y

    It can be done. What kind of zoning does the property have currently? Is it currently RM1?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Yardley, PA · Member since 2015 · 451 posts · 307 votes
    9y

    @Dominic Punzo, as @Zachary Paul notes.. check the zoning.  RM1 would be great, but with RSA-5 you would/could apply for a change of use to a triplex (I'm unsure of legal requirements.. may need a lawyer to guide you down this path). Also you would have to (highly likely) go before your local RCO to appeal to the community about why you're converting a duplex to a triplex. With their approval (and support) that helps you then to go before the city board of zoning for approval of the conversion as well.  From what I've heard, if you have your local RCO's approval/support.. you're highly likely to get approved before the city zoning board for your request.  

    Definitely your steps are: (1) confirm zoning for the building and (2) speak with/obtain a lawyer who has experience with zoning & U&O changes.  

    Also.. I know from a code standpoint.. duplexes vs. triplexes are VERY different.  Triplexes for example.. need stand alone fire monitoring system (e.g. panel) and some of the newer builds, etc will require sprinkler systems to be installed, shared walls between units must all be fire rated (including all doors), emergency lighting required w/exit signs in hallways, etc etc.  Could be a lot of work/headache turning a duplex into a triplex unless it's a GREAT deal to purchase and rehab. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    The property is currently listed as Rm1. I probably should have listed that in my original post.
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Dominic, RM1 can be a triplex (http://phillyzoning.com/newcode/wp-content/uploads...)

    You'll just need to apply for a use registration permit. However, the document notes that 

    "Multi-Family requires a Use Registration Permit (see page 17). One dwelling is permitted for every 360 sq. ft. of lot area up to 1,440 sq. ft; then one dwelling for each additional 480 sq. ft. in excess of 1,440 sq. ft. (Whenever the calculation results in a fraction of a unit, the number is rounded down.) Any proposal in excess of this limit requires a Variance (see page 19)." 

    So do make sure your lot is big enough. I personally stay away from anything that will require obtaining a variance because the process is a lot more complicated, and there's always a chance it won't get approved.

    I agree with what Mike B. said regarding additional requirements for triplex in regards to building code. Here's some additional information: http://www.phila.gov/li/Documents/partnersinhousing.pdf

  • Joseph ScoreseBusiness Member
    Banker · Philadelphia · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 631 votes
    9y

    Hi @Dominic Punzo,

    Welcome to BP!

    Your question could have a double edge sword.

    The Philadelphia Neighborhoods are drastically changing zoning through there RCO's and CDC's. Which means under any zoning you could lose your 'by right' allowance to change the property but need a variance. We have educational networking events with Diversified Investors Group monthly and we have zoning attorney's that attend. Also, you should consider attending the CDC zoning meeting where your property is to meet and greet zoning attorneys.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    Regards,

    Joe Scorese

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Thank you everyone for the amazing advice. I am definitely going to look into all of this and be sure of the outcomes. Also Joseph Scorese I'd love to attend one of you local networking events if you could send me the details that would be great. I have been to a couple local events and am currently looking for new ones to attend.
  • Investor · Upper Marlboro, MD · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Hi All, I am currently beginning a similar process. Turning a single family into a 4 unit. All the zoning advice is correct based on what I've read. I going to try the zoning myself but am looking for a contractor/architect who can help with drawing plans for the rehab.  Does anyone know someone in the area who could help me out?

    Also here's a link to the city's zoning manual. Very good info in the process. 

    http://phila2035.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Zoning-Admin-Manual-REV-2012.08.22.pdf 

    Joseph Scorsese I'm interested in the CDC meetings. How do I find out when they are. 

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Nicho Pruett. Nicho. I am just interested in the follow up. Have you been able to finish the conversion? Any tips on contractors and architect firms? I am planning to convert a single family to a duplex and need some help with the process.


    Van

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.