Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Sanchez
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
Tenant is moving out soon

Aaron Sanchez
  • Tempe, AZ
Posted

Hello,

I am house hacking my home in Arizona. I have a tenant who is moving out in a month. The tenant caused some damaged to the irrigation pipes by puncturing a hole while aerating in the back yard. I did not ask for that assistance or any other assistance that would give the idea to do such a thing. Simply, my question is, is the cost to repair the damage able to come out of the deposit?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Acuna
  • Investor
  • Mission, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mission, TX
Replied

Aaron Sanchez as long as you can show that it's their sole use yard area then I suppose. I know in Texas you have to produce receipts and have the work done to take anything off the deposit.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Sanchez
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied

I have a receipt from the landscaping company who did the repair. There's nothing in writing giving them the "okay" to utilize the backyard @Andrew Acuna. I have text messages showing the tenant admitting being at fault and pictures showing the damage.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Acuna
  • Investor
  • Mission, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mission, TX
Replied

Aaron Sanchez that sounds good to me- if you're worried about legal recourse I'd consult an attorney, but it seems like you have grounds to charge the deposit. The only place it gets hairy is whether or not it was his backyard- I could see that being an issue.