Tenants car was damaged. Is it my fault?

Tenants car was damaged. Is it my fault?

Investor · Stillwater, OK · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 17 votes
Okay I need some advice. We have a small apartment unit. During a windstorm a piece of siding blew off and damaged one of the tenants cars. The tenant is asking us to pay the $500 deposit. I have never had in my lease anything about parking at your own risk, or any signs in the parking area. Is this something I am responsible for? Or is this considered an act of God and the tenant has on his own? Any advice would be appreciated.
0Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Colleen F.Pro Member
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y

I had a tree fall on a tenants car and I called my insurance company.  They indicated that unless I was negligent regarding the tree  then it was and act of god and it was on the tenant. The tenant said it was her car insurance that paid. I did not cover the deductible, that would have opened the door for me admitting negligence.  Now it was a healthy tree not the siding on my house.  I called the insurance company but I don't think they ever opened a claim.  I just paid for the removal of the tree from the car.   Call your insurance company and ask.

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2015 · 409 posts · 214 votes
    9y

    Florida is tough

    before you do anything talk to a paralegal to look at state and city laws

    the renter should have renters insurance

    you have property insurance

    what is the 500 $ about? you are calling it a deposit

    the deposit is for the rental agreement and cleaning, not GOD scratched my car

    just check into all your options before throwing your money at a emotional mess

    enjoy

  • Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2015 · 409 posts · 214 votes
    9y

    just talk to the tenant and see if there is a viable solution before you out of pocket cash

    all problems have a solution with good negotiation  both parties can have a win win

    enjoy

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    9y

    Unless the siding was not attached correctly and your were negligent in your maintenance of the property then you are not responsible. That would be on their auto insurance, possibly renters insurance. 

    If a tree branch comes down in a windstorm on a vehicle of a guest at my house, I am not responsible unless I had reason to think that the branch was bad and was going to fall. I had a neighbor at a property habe a dwelling fire and it melted some siding on my properties garage. However that person was not liable as it was not intentional and they wete not deemed negligent.  

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    9y

    most likely not but could depending on the riders in place. Most likely path would be on the auto insurance however I would never file such a claim either way...

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I had a tree fall on a tenants car and I called my insurance company.  They indicated that unless I was negligent regarding the tree  then it was and act of god and it was on the tenant. The tenant said it was her car insurance that paid. I did not cover the deductible, that would have opened the door for me admitting negligence.  Now it was a healthy tree not the siding on my house.  I called the insurance company but I don't think they ever opened a claim.  I just paid for the removal of the tree from the car.   Call your insurance company and ask.

  • Real Estate Professional · Levittown, NY · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Your homeowners insurance will not cover the damage as it is an act of God. The tenant can file a claim against their comprehensive coverage on their auto insurance and it would be covered under that. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2015 · 307 posts · 127 votes
    9y
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read OP is that tenant is wanting you to pay their deductible. If that's the case, I'd tell them to go fly a kite! If it's just a $500 bill, tell them to call their car insurance, or pay the bill. An act of God is not going to pay out damage to someone else...that's why THEY should have THEIR insurance up to date.
  • Investor · Enfield , CT · Member since 2015 · 55 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    Yeah how could this be your fault, unless the siding was like not attached properly then it's not your fault. How can you control wind? Or even know that would happen. That's what car insurance is for, that tenant won't even need to come out of pocket for that 500 so why would you give it too him. He's calls his car insurance they look at the damage and estimate the cost to fix it. Say the damage is $1000.00 then he would just get a check for 500 bucks and fix it on his own. And his insurance isn't going to go up because it's an act of god.  What if the damage is only 200 bucks worth he still wants 500? Makes no sense to me. That's life things happen. @David Luetkemeyer

  • Investor · Stillwater, OK · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 17 votes
    9y
    I don't know why I would turn over to insurance. My deductible is over 500 anyway. And anytime you turn something over to insurance it's considered a claim whether they pay anything or not and they will raise my rates.
  • Investor · Stillwater, OK · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 17 votes
    9y
    And yes the damage is over $500 but that is their auto insurance deductible. And they have asked me to cover that. I have told them that it was an act of God and that is what their insurance for their automobile is for. They asked about renters insurance and were told that it would not cover their automobile.
  • Professional · Springfield, NJ · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @David Luetkemeyer - What state did this happen in?  

    Did you have any notice (actual or constructive) that the siding was in some type of disrepair or had the potential to cause dangerous condition?  

    Does the tenant have renter's policy naming you as the additional insured?  

    This is not a contract issue.  It is more of a negligence issue.   The tenant may have a weak cause of actdion against you.  The tenant wlil have an uphill battle because tenant will need to prove that you knew that the siding was loose or reasonably should have known.  To do that will likely need to have an expert brought in.  

    With all this said, do you like your tenant? How much would it cost you if the tenant moves out at the end of the lease?  Why not keep the tenant happy and split the baby.

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    9y

    John, anybody can sue for anything. It does not seem that the tenant would have a case as there is no indication of negligence. I would be wasting a lot of money if I accepted fault for everything that caused an issue in my life as acts of God are not liable to the landlord

  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @David Luetkemeyer that would fall under their auto's comprehensive policy. Typically, the car is not covered under a renter's policy. You did nothing wrong unless you were not maintaining the unit. Beyond that, as @Account Closed says, anyone can sue for anything. If you walk around giving money away just in case they might sue you, you will find yourself without money pretty quickly.

    In this case, the sky was falling, but it wasn't your fault. Tell your tenant that you are sorry their car was damaged and glad they weren't hurt. While you are getting that piece of the roof repaired make sure nothing is loose and ready to fall and move on with your life.

    I would say to call your insurance to be certain you are okay in their minds, then rest easy knowing you are not at fault for problems other people have that are not caused by you.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milford, NE · Member since 2011 · 201 posts · 140 votes
    9y

    Hand the guy 500 bucks if you don't want hassles down the line. And don't argue about it....:)  That tenant may find a way to get their "$500" from you in other ways if you try to ignore this. 

       And it certainly wasn't their fault.....act of god or not.  If they are a good tenant and you want to keep them...its good PR to handle this in my opinion.  Tenants talk to each other and could turn the whole apartment against you. Not worth it. 

          Just do what you feel is the right thing to do. 

  • Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2016 · 299 posts · 110 votes
    9y

    I personally would pay the $500 deductible and get a release signed by them stating you are not admitting any liability, but paying it as an act of good will.  If there was any negligence on your part, the tenant's auto insurance company would sue you to recover whatever they paid the tenant.  I avoid having any claims filed, whether paid by insurance or not, unless they are large. The insurance company will list it as a claim and raise your rates or non-renew your policy, which is a much bigger hassle than paying the $500 and having a happy tenant.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.