Votes
Art Maydan
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Renter Wants to Install Dish and Phone Jack

Art Maydan
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Nov 14 2016, 07:02

I'm at work and my renter just texted me that AT&T is at my house and where can he put the dish. My wife and I live upstairs and he just moved in downstairs. He's asking if they can put a dish on OUR balcony or on the detached garage roof. I said he can put it on the garage if he pays for the cost of removing it and restoring the installation site once he leaves and he's saying "a lot of houses have them, it can just stay." I don't want a dish on my house. I use Comcast like a civilized human. What should I do in this scenario? My lease says, "The Tenant(s) shall, at their own expense and at all times, maintain premises in a clean and sanitary manner, and shall surrender the same at termination hereof, in as good condition as received, normal wear and tear excepted."

He also just texted me "I only noticed today that you have no phone jacks, is putting one in the kitchen ok?" I don't know why this guy wants a landline, but I don't want a hole in my house because he's living in the 90s. Am I right to just flat out say "No"? I've tried to be reasonable and allow his TV wall mount already, but nobody uses landlines and he can go buy a house if he wants and drill all the holes he wants. This guy makes 8x what I do and his lease is only 9 months. This is my first ever tenant and I feel like he's trying to push me around because he's twice my age.

Edit: Now he wants high speed internet jacks, which I didn't know required different jacks than the cable jacks we already have in every room. Is that reasonable to allow?

Loading replies...