C of o inspections and property code in Rochester ny

C of o inspections and property code in Rochester ny

Property Manager · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 243 posts · 62 votes

Hi 

Anyone locally in Rochester NY that can be of some help or point me in correct direction. I own a few rentals here locally and deal with a lot of hands on work myself just had a c of o done on two different properties and am concerned and curious the differences in violations and way city inspectors come up with code violations. Now I do have experience been to quite a few c of o inspections and section 8 inspections and thought I was familiar with local codes but seems everytime it's a new or different inspector and codes seem to change or are different based solely on who inspects. My question is where can I get their property code book or rules for violations so that I maybe versed and fix things before inspection and if they should try and tell me otherwise I would have the local code enforcement booklet which should be made available to the public and landlords if your holding me responsible to standards. One example recently is at 2 different properties home passed with no carbon or smoke in kitchen was told not needed as it wasnt required just needs to be outside kitchen and same location has boarded windows in basement only no violation but another location different inspector wants a carbon and smoke inside kitchen even when directly in next room and also wants natural light in basement because windows are boarded. Mind you both are single families and in low income areas which inspector is correct and is there a way around this or to hold these inspectors accoutable to what code really is required should be the same across the board no differences. How can I know their not just making this up as they go along as it seems when I question them their unaware of own property code laws and always a newbie inspector. I printed out chapter 90 of property code for city of Rochester about 46 pages read through and nothing goes so much into detail. I would like to know before hand so I can make properties ready and done correctly before inspections. Any help on where to get or who to speak with. I even asked an inspector for a copy and he says he can't provide that only office has them this was in regards to proper code on height requirements for stairs and railings. Thanks really confused with the differences any insight is appreciated as I would like to do this all correctly the first time and to the best quality of standards but as landlords time is money

0Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bryan, TX · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 82 votes
10y

first you have to find out what codes are adopted. You will most likely be dealing with the irc. (International residential building code) then you will need to know what year. Cities do not have to change every time the new codes cycle through.  Once you have the codes and the years, next will be a list of the amendments to said codes.  This will be a list of what the city has added to the adopted codes.  Cities proved a copy of the code books but you will more than likely have to sit at city hall to read the book.  The admenents will be posted on the city web sites.  The old code books can be found through google and be read for free on line. ICC makes you buy the newest ones.  There are also code commentary books that help to understand the actual codes.  Inspectors must go by the book/amendments but each inspector has different areas they key in on depending on their individual strengths and weaknesses.  I know it's a pain. I have been on both sides as a construction worker and now an inspector with rentals that's has to hire construction workers.  

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Helsinki, Finland · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hi there, 

    I'm from Helsinki and have basic knowledge (looking to expand on this) but to what I know Codes are Public information. On the ICC (International Code Council) there are some free codes listed. It states they were last updated in 2015 but the link I'm about to give you was what I came across today.

    There should be all different types of Building Regulation Codes here.

    http://codes.iccsafe.org/New%20York%20State.html#a...

    Regards,

    Rachel.

  • Property Manager · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 243 posts · 62 votes
    10y

    appreciate it I was looking more into this the other day

    much appreciated

  • Investor · Bryan, TX · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 82 votes
    10y

    first you have to find out what codes are adopted. You will most likely be dealing with the irc. (International residential building code) then you will need to know what year. Cities do not have to change every time the new codes cycle through.  Once you have the codes and the years, next will be a list of the amendments to said codes.  This will be a list of what the city has added to the adopted codes.  Cities proved a copy of the code books but you will more than likely have to sit at city hall to read the book.  The admenents will be posted on the city web sites.  The old code books can be found through google and be read for free on line. ICC makes you buy the newest ones.  There are also code commentary books that help to understand the actual codes.  Inspectors must go by the book/amendments but each inspector has different areas they key in on depending on their individual strengths and weaknesses.  I know it's a pain. I have been on both sides as a construction worker and now an inspector with rentals that's has to hire construction workers.  

  • Investor · Bryan, TX · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 82 votes
    10y

    windows and natural light fall under "glazing" in the code books. Hand rails are pretty cut and dry on their measurments.  Figure out what the city is using and I can show you how to decipher the books, they can be tough to navigate.  

    That offer stands for anyone on bp. 

  • Property Manager · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 243 posts · 62 votes
    10y

    appreciate all the input those far and the time you took to reply. Any knowledge or ideas are extremely helpful

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 934 votes
    10y

    You could also save yourself a lot of research time and ask the inspectors to refer you to the specific code violation.  I have found my inspectors to be knowledgeable of the code and willing to ask their superiors if something is unclear.  @Derrick Williams gave you a great review of the documentation to read and that might be a lot of reading.  Section 8 has their own rules, as I am sure you know.

    Your situation with carbon and smoke detectors may have more to do with the layout of the property.  In my borough in Pennsylvania, we are required to have a smoke detector on every level.  In one property, I had one on the main level, but it was on the "far" side of a door that led down to the basement.  It couldn't protect the main level unless the door to the basement was open, but was literally on the main level.  The inspector required another one in the dining room which adjoined the kitchen.  I had planned to put one in anyway and forgot about it.

    It is unusual to require a smoke detector in a kitchen due to cooking.  I can see that if the kitchen is the only room on a level.

    Jim.

  • Property Manager · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 243 posts · 62 votes
    10y

    Thank you all so far. Makes perfect sense and things clearer getting others opinions and advice. Guess every situation is different

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.