• Georgetown, MA
Votes |
Tenant hasnt even moved in and wants to back out of lease

Lauren Brown
  • Investor
  • Georgetown, MA
Posted Jul 26 2016, 17:58

Hi Everyone,

this is my first time posting but i am so furious right now i just had to!  I have a new tenant who signed a lease for July 1st but about a week before the move in date I got a message that her grandfather was dying and she needed to go to be with him and wouldnt be back until July 8th.  I said that was fine, we could collect the remaining money owed (only collected $500 deposit at this point in time) on July 9th when they were back give them keys etc.  Then a few days before the 8th she said that her grandfather had just passed and they wouldnt be home until even later in the month and her current landlord was allowing them to stay through July if I would also allow it.  I explained how the lease (which she signed) worked and that they were violating it but I was being kind and said ok to start of august.  now it is a week before move in and they are now going to move to another state to be with her family and they want their deposit back to move...WHAT?!?!  you want your deposit back?  how about the $3-4k i am now going to be out in rent due to vacancy??!!!  I am so angry!  what can i do at this point?  they havent even moved in! i told her it was not acceptable and the best I can do is to try to find another tenant as quickly as possible but she has to pay rent until i find one (per the lease agreement) and she said they do not have the money because her husband cant work (he sprained his ankle and she sent me pictures to prove it...weird) she said you cant expect blood from a stone.  i would love to hear feedback from all of you.  is this something that is worth legal fees and is there way we could get our money?  we are in massachusetts.  Rent is $950/mo and the lease was initially for July 1 and i agreed (although only through text message) to let it start august first.  now I probably wont be able to find a tenant till mid september/october.

Loading replies...