Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 8 votes
Hello BP members:
On one of my multi-unit properties I have allowed the tenants to have pets and I have been having lot of issues.
Issue 1 - The tenant that lives below them has been continuously sending me emails about being disturbed by the sound of the dogs running upstairs. I have had the pet owners install an area rug and also some runners in the hall. The tenant below still keeps complaining. Have you had a similar experience and do you have tips that would limit the sound of dogs running on hardwood floors.
Issue 2 - As per my gardener, there is always dog litter on the lawn. I was told the neighbors dog comes and takes care of their business on the lawn. I believe the pet owner was notified but it still happens. I though of installing a netted fence inside the current fence we have so that other dogs don't come on the property, however this could be a bit costly. Has someone faced similar issues and how did they resolve them. Any easy fix?
Pets are a PITA for landlords. You will ultimately lose your down stairs tenant and in the future do not rent to tenants with pets if you do not want pet problems. You are stuck with the problem till you get rid of the upstairs tenants.
You will need to properly fence the yard to be able to force your tenant to pick up after their dog.
Your best option is to hound the tenant about their dog every opportunity you have and place as many restrictions on it as possible. Force them to clip it's nails before it destroys your floors. Then suggest you will let them out of their lease.
The best way to get rid of tenants is to make their lives miserable just like they are doing to your downstairs tenant.
Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
10y
Take this as a learning lesson to not rent to people with dogs in an upstairs apartment. Other than area rugs or carpeting I don't see any cost effective way to reduce the pet noise. I wouldn't suggest renewing the upstairs tenants lease since the downstairs tenant will always complain.
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 8 votes
10y
Thanks @Thomas S.. I guess if I let tenants have pets they should be only on the ground floor. The tenants are actually good people its just the disturbance from the dogs running.
I was hoping there would be some special mat that would fix the noise issue.