Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Connie Herzog
  • Licensed Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, MN
Votes |
Seeking an apt rental/room near San Francisco State University

Connie Herzog
  • Buffalo, MN
Posted Apr 26 2016, 08:18

Hello!  I am not sure if I'm allowed to post a "seeking" ad, so if I get deleted - my apologies Forum Police!  LOL!  I am looking to rent a room or an apt near San Francisco State University starting August 1st.  My daughter has been accepted there for her Master's in Physics. We thought we had a good possibility, but I believe it's a scam. I'm a bit leary about Craig's List ads.  Looking for a legitimate property owner or a property manager that works that area. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Miller
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Apr 26 2016, 09:56

Hi Connie - I had the same experience here when trying to find a room here to rent and was scammed by 5 people claiming they owned the property. I'm not a legitimate property owner or manager, but I can help you out by checking out any places here for your daughter to make sure they're legitimate. 

User Stats

Votes
Connie Herzog
  • Buffalo, MN
Votes |
  • Buffalo, MN
Replied Apr 26 2016, 10:41

Thank you, Greg!   What are some good suburbs that are near SFSU? (Not Univ. of SF).  Daly City ok? That seems to be a bit cheaper.  She will not have a car... the darn thing won't make the drive out there.  So she'll need to be close to public transportation.  Her goal is to be out there 8/1 so we have time.  Thanks again

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Jake Van Vorhis
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Apr 26 2016, 15:06

Hi Connie,

Daly City is home to a lot of SFSU students. It will definitely be cheaper, but there is no rent control protection like there is in SF. Your daughter will probably face an annual rent raise there. In San Francisco proper, the Outer Sunset and Parkside neighborhoods will be most affordable for the proximity and she will probably find multiple rooms available for rent in apartments with other students. Park Merced Apartments are very close to campus, but the condition and prices are pretty scary for the most part. Colma is another city nearby that could work (just south of Daly City) and she could BART to a stop close enough to ride Muni the rest of the way, bike, walk, etc. 

Hope that helps!

User Stats

Votes
Connie Herzog
  • Buffalo, MN
Votes |
  • Buffalo, MN
Replied Apr 26 2016, 15:46

Thank you Jake!  Yes it does help.  Referrals are gold, and I was wondering if you knew of a property mgt co that specializes in room rentals, or someone we can work with long distance to find a nice room in Daly City.  We have some time as she does need to be there until August 1st, but it would be nice to be in touch with someone who will have eyes/ears open for any good possibilities.  There's a bunch of stuff online, but after getting scammed by a gal today - this mom is a bit nervous.  Thanks for any help you can give.  Connie

User Stats

Votes
Jake Van Vorhis
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Apr 27 2016, 14:29

Hey Connie,

I don't actually know a property manager that specifies in room rentals, but I have one really good property manager I recommend to everyone who is on top of everything and very ethical. I'll send you a private message. I'm not totally sure she'll be able to help you find a room for your daughter, but if not, she'll know where to suggest looking! 

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Apr 27 2016, 20:04

@Connie Herzog I'm going to send you a message.  I just checked and the place I used to manage has a studio for rent.  She can walk to the Caltrain station.  I know the manager.  Great place and if you can afford it she can have her own small studio.  It's a bit of a commute - it's in Santa Clara, but it's a very safe area and a great old building, quiet, well-maintained, nice manager, and everything she'd need is in walking distance.