Tenant volunteering to upgrade/maintain house for a reduced rent

Tenant volunteering to upgrade/maintain house for a reduced rent

Decatur, GA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes

Hello BP,

I'm a 1st time landlord. I am in the process of renting out my current SFH. I will be moving to my new house in a few days about 45 minutes away. I have in a fairly tight knit neighborhood, and one of the previous homeowners want to move back to the neighborhood, but only for a few years as they are retiring. They thought they would retire earlier, so sold their house 4 years ago. Prior to that they lived there for 20+ years.

I never knew of them, as they sold their house before I moved in. 

Based on my research and talking to my realtor, I can get $2200/month for my house. It's a 4Bedroom, 3 bath. The two closest comp, one rents for $2300 and another $2100. Both are 200 square feet smaller and have 1 less bathroom, or 1 less bed and bath. Both are also 10-20 years newer (though, my house is in good condition).

The potential tenants contacted the realtor on my street asking for home rentals, and he knew I wanted to rent so got them in touch with me. I have yet to list my house anywhere.

The tenant renovated their kitchen, create a mud room and other things on the 1st floor. 

What they are proposing is $1700 to move in, they will maintain and upgrade the yard, change out electric stove for gas stove, replace a faucets, toilets, and some other upgrades to expand out the master bathroom. They want to see themselves as care takers, and not renters. They say they'll save me trouble as they take care of their house, they won't call me for random repairs.

I haven't ran a background/credit check or ask them to formally apply, still coming to terms. If it was someone off the streets telling me this I'd tell them heck no. But they've lived here for 20+ years, they are still on good terms with some of the neighbors. 

Lets say the market rent for my house is even $2100, or $2000. At that price point I think I would screen out a lot of people who would cause trouble that they'd would save me trouble from. 

So, good idea or bad idea? Any other questions I should ask for, or red flags? Even from the beginning they were keen on negotiating their price based on telling me how much trouble they'll save me from. I'm sure I can counter their price with something higher. Have you ever had someone negotiate this way? And what's it worth to have someone the neighbors know? 

Thanks!

0Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2013 · 767 posts · 389 votes
10y

It doesn't matter if they are a referral or that neighbors know them.   Rent it at market rate to qualified tenants.  And no modifications, short of planting flowers.   You're not going to make it long if you start conceding and giving discounts out of the gate.  

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2013 · 767 posts · 389 votes
    10y

    Never let tenants do repairs in exchange for reduced rent.    They will do a crappy job or will do a small amount of repairs to justify their low rent, even though the reduced rent will be more than they actually spend on the property.   Or they will value their labor at a higher rate than the street rate.   

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    FUNDAMENTAL MISTAKE, especially if/when there's a dispute and you get into court.

    Then tenant becomes an unpaid labouror and you are afoul of State labor laws.

    Secondly, you have no control over the quality of work or of meeting building codes.

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks for your replies! I guess I can concede a discount since they are a referral, neighbors know them, etc...but not a massive $500 discount...max meet half way.  Any work they do is on their part. Put a clause in the lease that any modification they do need to be reverted to original state, unless I approve. 

  • Contractor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2013 · 767 posts · 389 votes
    10y

    It doesn't matter if they are a referral or that neighbors know them.   Rent it at market rate to qualified tenants.  And no modifications, short of planting flowers.   You're not going to make it long if you start conceding and giving discounts out of the gate.  

  • Investor · Morton, IL · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Foley,

    I am in agreement with the others in saying that I would not allow for the tenant to make repairs/modifications.  I once allowed a tenant to install a shelf for placing their microwave on.  After they moved out and a new tenant had moved in, the shelf collapsed, dropping the microwave (literally) on the head of the new tenant.  While no legal action was taken against me, it very well could have been and I doubt any court would allow me to point to the previous tenants as bearing the blame.

    Also, I am very hesitant to rent to applicants who want to negotiate rent from the outset.  In my experience, once they are in, they will want to negotiate further or ask for modifications to the home that were not discussed up front.

    Just my two cents but I would stick with your price and wait for the next qualifying applicant to come along....and they will.

  • Investor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2014 · 170 posts · 73 votes
    10y

    I know a guy who did this with one of his tenants. Always seems to be the SFHs. The tenants would upgrade the property, take care of all maintenance, lawn, snow removal, no phone calls. The perfect turnkey tenant. It actually worked out great until the cops raided the place. The only reason the tenants wanted to do everything was to keep the landlord away. Background check was clean as a whistle. Great credit. Good references. The problem was the people who signed his lease didn't move in the property. This is but a simple warning. It might be different in your case. 

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    LOL that's a funny story @Greg B.  I've heard of similar stories too. I'll be doing the background and credit check, reference checks, previous landlord, etc...but since my neighbors know them I'll have to assume whoever signs the lease is actually them! PIus Googled the husband and found his professional portfolio online.

    One thing that has struck me as odd too, is, I know they have a dog. But they haven't bothered to ask if I accept dogs. I know they have a dog as the neighbor realtor asked if my backyard is fenced, and said that they have a dog that another neighbor here dog sits for them when they are out of town. Since the wife is I believe stay at home, I'd assume the dog is better mannered than others.

    How upfront are your tenants usually with dogs? I've read on here that sometimes they'll try to hide it. It will definitely be asked on the application, and I'll push for a non-refundable cleaning fee...but I originally didn't want to accept dogs as we have nice hardwood floors and they could scratch them up. But I also know in a SFH with a fenced backyard, many potential tenants would be dog owners.

  • Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 20 votes
    10y
    Don't do it! If you want to pay them to do work fine(better make sure they are qualified). But don't discount rent for it. It's a bad idea that can turn ugly if anything goes wrong. Are they insured if they get hurt doing the work? Stranger things have happened.
  • Investor · Alabaster, AL · Member since 2016 · 280 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    Oh no.no no no...

  • Investor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2014 · 170 posts · 73 votes
    10y

    I'm just getting back into the real estate game but during the time I had my rental I didn't allow pets. No cats, no dogs. It didn't change placing a tenant. It seems like everybody today has some little dog or whatever but a lot don't. Look for good, qualified, full rent paying tenants.

    Like someone said earlier, this is your business and your first "sale" don't get in the habit of discounting your product to the first customer to walk through the door.

    Good luck

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    10y

    You may get lucky, but the odds are greatly against you.

    If your numbers are correct, they are asking for $6000 in reduced rent. Are they offering $6000 in improvements? It sounds as if a licensed, insured contractor could do all this work for less than $6000. They are trying to pull one over on you!

    If your home is worth $2200 as is, rent it for what it is worth and don't compromise. When Landlords start letting Tenants wheel-and-deal, they most often lose.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · West End, NC · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    I agree with most everyone else's comments. Handle this as a business, not a deal you are doing with "friends of friends." 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Landlords do not negotiate with tenants they tell the tenant how it is going to be and the tenant either takes it or leaves it. Why would think there are negotiations in this business.

    You need to get serious about your business practices. Nothing you are saying in regards to these applicants makes any business scenes. You have absolutely no reason to screen or qualify these applicants any differently than any other stranger. If you did not intend to have dogs then NO DOGS.

    Never allow any tenant to do any changes or modifications to anything on your property, no plumbing, construction not even any paint. Never give discounts for any reason.

    I would go so far as to advise you to sell the home as opposed to renting it to anyone. You do not appear to have the wherewithall to be a landlord.

  • Attorney · Winchester, VA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 387 votes
    10y

    There are some serious liability and contractual problems with letting tenants do this kind of thing, and such a venture should only be attempted after consultation with a real estate attorney in your local area to determine what you must have in place to protect yourself.

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks. I've heard everyone loud and clear. No major modifications. 

    Though on one hand it's nice to rent to people the neighbors would be happy with, I'll need to consider the fact if I rented to complete strangers I would treat it purely as a business. It's kind of like that old adage, don't mix friends with business. 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Foley Ma:

    Thanks. I've heard everyone loud and clear. No major modifications. 

    Not exactly loud and clear yet. You do not allow tenants to do anything. No painting no adding or changing  of anything no fixing or repairing of anything. They do not touch any part of your property.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    I wouldn't worry too much about whether you are renting to people the neighbors would be happy with; at your price point, it's unlikely you are going to have bums, and the neighbors could have bought the place themselves if they wanted to pick their neighbors.

    The main thing about being a landlord is A) treat it like a business and B) use your head. You will read some hard-core stuff here about not letting a tenant hang a picture on the wall without your approval or put out a different door mat. Successful landlording involves dealing with people, and you don't have to treat them all as if they're lepers or out to turn your property into a meth lab, but you do need to use common sense. So as previously noted, no way on the improvements - you are renting a house, not employing a contractor. If your place needs those upgrades, they are your responsibility, and you should go about obtaining them in a responsible way - get bids, or use your handyman, etc. The house should rent for what the house rents. The other side of that is don't be a dick. If you allow dogs, and your tenant asks if they can put up a small, portable fence unit, and it's not hurting anything, and they are good tenants, then use your best judgement. I had a unit once that I had just closed on and it needed paint downstairs. A girl came to see one of my other units and before she could bring a signed lease, someone else took the unit. She had good credit and was clean cut, and asked if we had anything else out there. We let her see the just-closed property even though it wasn't ready, in case she wanted to wait. She asked if we would let her go in at the beginning of the next month, but it couldn't be painted by then. She offered to paint the downstairs, and we agreed, gave her the color palette she could use, gave her a little discount on the second month's rent (never discount the deposit or first month!), and guess what? She did a phenomenal job, almost as good as my professional painter would have done, with no spills, runs, etc. Of course, that was a one-time deal for her, and it worked out well for everyone. If she had done a crappy job, well, the unit needed paint anyway so it didn't matter. If it had already been professionally painted, and she didn't like the color, well that would have been too bad.

    Anyway, what these people are asking for is unreasonable. I never hire tenants to do anything, nor do I become "friends" with them (though we are friendly), because the only real relationship I want to have here is a fair business exchange. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.