Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Justin Frye
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Which is a better starter investment 30k rental or 80-100k?

Justin Frye
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Mar 4 2016, 08:40

I've been reading and hearing a lot lately on how it's the quality of houses you buy, not the quantity. Ben lebovich is one who is a firm believer in not buying 30k houses to rent. Is there really a difference in the price of the house your buying to rent, if your still positively cash flowing every month and your still at a positive cap rate Or ROI in the end.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 4 2016, 08:53

I think that the fundamental question you are asking here is what matters in real estate investment - ROI, or cash flow? It's the age old question of appreciation vs cash flow - which matters more?

The answer is, it depends. I believe that for many people thinking about real estate, the keys are cash flow first, then ROI as they scale. The reason I think this is because it's hard to scale while working a full-time job. Once you have that first $5, $10, or even $20K in stable monthly cash flow, and have the resulting freedom to direct your time as you choose, more cash flow at the expense of greater appreciation potential seems kind of pointless, right?

That said, when you buy $30K houses, Ben is of course correct in the vast majority of cases. There is a high chance that there is a great reason the house is $30K. It's because it is going to do nothing beyond (at best) provide you with cash flow on your investment. It's likely not going to increase dramatically in value, attract quality tenants, be a stable, low-maintenance asset, or provide any of the real, scalable benefits of real estate investing to your life.

Personally, I choose to buy assets that produce reasonable, but not incredible cash flow, but have plenty of potential for appreciation. And I buy them in cities and neighborhoods that are growing, not declining. If I don't firmly believe that the property's location will be more desirable in 30 years than it is today, then I feel that the property won't serve either my cash flow or ROI goals.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff B.
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Mar 4 2016, 08:56

IMO, cash flow IS what REI is about, sort of like a coupon bond, you collect as time progresses. So I took months to find a property that produced a CF I was pleased to work for (aka manage the facility & tenants). Reaping $1.95 was not worth my time.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Justin Frye
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 4 2016, 10:00

@Scott Trench very well said I think your way of viewing investments is ideal and a great route to take 

User Stats

Votes
Justin Frye
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 4 2016, 10:03

@Jeff B. i completely agree with your thought process thanks again for the great feedback 

User Stats

Votes
Chad Hotovec
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Olathe, KS
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Olathe, KS
Replied Mar 4 2016, 10:18

@Scott Trench Nicely put.

Step one....Identify your goals for REI.

User Stats

Votes
David Dachtera
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
  • Rockford, IL
Replied Mar 4 2016, 10:36

I can't really improve on what @Scott Trench said.

"It depends". What are YOUR goals?

Get a LOT of $30K houses cash flowing (to minimize the impact of a single vacancy)?

Get some $80K houses cash flowing and hold them long enough to see some appreciation, tax benefits, etc.?

Get a few $x00K houses cash flowing and leverage the equity they build to acquire more?

Truly, "it depends". Really, it's up to YOU!

David J Dachtera

"Success is not a destination. Failure is not an event. Success is a process, failure is a choice."
- DJ Benedict

User Stats

Votes
Justin Frye
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 4 2016, 10:55

Thank you @David Dachtera @Scott Trench @Jeff B.

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Felice
Pro Member
  • Guy with Great Hair
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Guy with Great Hair
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 4 2016, 11:05

I think what Ben really means is that cheap, D quality houses that seem like dogs, are dogs. Yeah they may be cheap to get into, but they cost more money (higher turnover, lower quality tenants) over time which negatively affects your ROI. They also don't appreciate, you can't borrow against them, etc. It's a cash flow machine and he argues that it seems better on paper than it really is (and he is right).

the part I disagree with is the dollar amount. are all 30k houses the same, nope. are all 30k house areas the same, nope. So while a 30k house may be a dog in his area (and most). that's not to say you can't SPEND 30k to buy a house that might be worth more and find good profit.

Scott was also correct in that cash flow is really important early and less important later. As your income grows your cost of living might not grow in tandem. You'll now be willing to trade some of that high cash flow, for low volatility.

User Stats

Votes
Michele Fischer
Pro Member
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Mar 4 2016, 22:13

Justin, you may want to read Buy and Hold Forever, it is a great book for understanding the advantages of purchasing better properties.

We started int he low end properties, and they are cash flowing and starting to appreciate a tiny bit.  I don't think we will always be int his niche, though, it is draining.  It is also more expensive and more difficult to get conventional financing on the lower valued property.

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Franco
Pro Member
  • Scranton, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Scranton, PA
Replied Mar 5 2016, 14:00

I have my stack of 20 or 30 K properties, and my be /c grade tenants to go along with them. 

There is headaches, but there's profit at the end of every month.

I'm moving now into higher and rentals and other capacity investments but I will continue to grow that sector of my rental business, because there are always people in that sector. 

Now, in my particular market 30k is not a complete crackhead apartment 30k is a nice supper blue collar lower white collar rental

. Take 30k to Boston and I don't think you could buy a parking spot

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Montague
Pro Member
  • Brookline, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Brookline, MA
Replied Mar 5 2016, 23:27
Originally posted by @Stephen Franco:

. Take 30k to Boston and I don't think you could buy a parking spot

That seems like a fun challenge :)

30k doesn't do it on Realtor.com:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1...
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1...

Nothing on CraigsList at this point either :)

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/reb/5434856021.ht...

But back to the 30k question. A 30k investment is fine as long as you have the repairs, ROI and minimum cash/month dealt with. The primary issue with most 30k investments is the lack of gross income.

I require my SFH investments to get $200/month cash. But I'm also only looking at them if that is at least 15% ROI. Obviously any 30k investment netting 200/month is going to exceed 15% by a ways. The final critical item is the repair budget. I'm also going to be putting away at least $150/month, or more depending on the age of the home, for future repairs.

The primary problem with roofs: A 800 sq foot roof on a 30k house is not significantly cheaper than an 800 sq foot roof on a 600k house.