Prospective Tenant has a 90lbs Dog: What care should I take?

Prospective Tenant has a 90lbs Dog: What care should I take?

Real Estate Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 22 posts · 0 votes

I have not yet rented out but my prospective tenant tells me he has a 90lbs Dog. I am wondering on how to proceed with renting the condo, If I consider renting the house to this tenant what precautions should I take. And if a dog is this big, what type of wear-and-tear should I consider.
Any suggestions would be of great help,
Gash

0Reply
16 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Myrtle creek , OR · Member since 2008 · 343 posts · 13 votes
    17y

    Gash, If the dog were to bite someone in the complex you could be sued. I've seen doors and jams destroyed by the pets scratching to get out of closed rooms. The same goes for carpet destroyed by trying to dig under the door. Poorly house trained dogs can also create the necessity to replace all carpets and pads to remove the odor. Jim

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    90lb dog in a condo? What's he got a mastiff? I have a 25 lb. limit. for all properties. Have you checked the condo bylaws to see if you're allowed to do that? Also think about this - where's cujo going to do his 5-10 lb. business when he's not let outside? Plan on replacing the carpet from "gifts", the baseboard and front door from claws, the door casing and interior doors from chewing, cabinetry from chewing, countertops from jumping up and having a hard time accessing the property anytime the tenant isn't home. Hooch doesn't know you're the actual property owner and he's just a tenant.

    I wouldn't take on the liability of a dog that size. My property insurance won't allow it.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y

    What care should you take?

    To make sure your turn down letter complies with local law.

    Look, I love dogs. I have a 95# Lab-Dalmation mix. Beautiful dog with a very sweet disposition. She is an indoor dog and sleeps next to my bed each night.

    But, that did not prevent her from gnawing on the window sills in the kitchen. Once I replaced them with synthetic marble, THAT stopped.

    But, large dogs bring large problems.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    17y

    You are inviting trouble to allow such a big dog.

    Set a pet policy (no pets, or only pets under XX pounds, or whatever) and stick with it for everyone and you should be within the legal limits.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    17y

    Check the breed, make sure it's not considered a vicious dog, check with your insurance company make sure it's ok. Get a large deposit and add a monthly huge pet fee. I rehab my homes now to be pet friendly. Meaning, I do not put in carpet or refinish the wood floors. I market to pet owners and I am one the few in my area that does. This allows me to charge more in rents and my last experience, I found out that a 5 yr old boy peeing the bed over and over again can ruin carpet and hardwood worse then any pet can.

    There is a nice market for landlords who allow pets. You just have prep your lease and your home for it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.