As a new landlord - how do I defend against fake identities?

As a new landlord - how do I defend against fake identities?

Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Say a prospective tenant were to come to me with a fake ID, a made up SSN, and plenty of references and proof of income. 

When running background checks, what sort of response would come back if the ID or SSN is not valid? Does the system have anyway of knowing? Is it able to differentiate between someone with a made up SSN, and someone with no credit history?

I'm not so much bothered by someone with no credit history, but I want to be able to tell if the individual is using fake information. I've heard a lot of stories where people provide fake info with a fake ID to match and somehow it all goes through. I even remember one story where some undercover police officers used made up info with fake id's and made up SSN's and were able to pass the FBI NICS background check, which to me is bewildering. 

Can anyone offer up any advice/experience about this? When running background/credit checks through the systems available to landlords, what red flags should I look for? Can I differentiate between no credit and no criminal background of a real person, and a fake identity? Is the system response different? Or does the system have no way of telling?

0Reply
108 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
10y

I think I would focus on realistic problems instead of ones that will almost never happen. There is always someone who will rent to people with bad credit...there is very little incentive for someone to go through this kind of trouble.  

I mean sure it's possible for someone to get hit by lightning 17 times, but I would worry more about getting hit by a car while Im crossing a highway.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    I think I would focus on realistic problems instead of ones that will almost never happen. There is always someone who will rent to people with bad credit...there is very little incentive for someone to go through this kind of trouble.  

    I mean sure it's possible for someone to get hit by lightning 17 times, but I would worry more about getting hit by a car while Im crossing a highway.

  • Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    New systems that do credit checks require a drivers license image, by smart phone or scanner. In the background they do facial recognition.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    The final test (I use) is to request to see the drivers license before I show the apartment. (might recall I require the CR to be complete before I get to showing).  It must match what was shown on the application AND the current address better be on the application too.

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    I think I would focus on realistic problems instead of ones that will almost never happen. There is always someone who will rent to people with bad credit...there is very little incentive for someone to go through this kind of trouble.  

    I mean sure it's possible for someone to get hit by lightning 17 times, but I would worry more about getting hit by a car while Im crossing a highway.

    I second Russell Brazil, this is such a low % problem.  Just define your the requirements you are comfortable with; credit score, criminal backgrounds, level of income, length of time at current job, etc. and stick to those.  If they pass they pass.

    And to be honest, fake ID doesn't guarantee a bad tenant.  I have rented to several Mexican families and I'm fairly certain they used fake IDs.  All I can say is, "how can I find more?"  They have been by far my favorite tenants. 

  • Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Nobody here really answered the question. Is there no way to tell from a credit check or background check if the ID information is made up? Does the system give the same response for people with made up information as it does for people with no record?

    @Jeff Gates

    I don't see how a credit agency can run facial recognition. They definitely don't have access to state databases as neither do police from out of state. State Governments would never give private companies access to that information. 

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeff B.:

    The final test (I use) is to request to see the drivers license before I show the apartment. (might recall I require the CR to be complete before I get to showing).  It must match what was shown on the application AND the current address better be on the application too.

     You should not trust the address or employment portion of any credit report.

    Probably 15% of the loans I do have "To whom it may concern, 123 Main st - I have no idea why this address is on my credit report, I've never lived here. /s/ date." Mortgage loan applicants have zero incentive to lie to me about where they've lived.

    My personal credit report lists me as living in Warsaw, Poland, and my occupation is still listed as USMC. It also says I used to live in North Carolina. I've never been to North Carolina, but I did mail something there once to an old friend.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jason Elz:

    Nobody here really answered the question. Is there no way to tell from a credit check or background check if the ID information is made up? Does the system give the same response for people with made up information as it does for people with no record?

     Once you've read a hundred credit reports, things will jump out at you. It's common for the AKA portion to have some variance because people at Macy's etc spell names wrong all the time when pulling credit. But if the person sitting in front of you is named George Smith, and the AKA section is 4 different spellings of Jennifer Jackson... hmmm.

    In addition, all SSNs indicate the year they were issued. Maybe this batch of SSNs are all from 1985-1988 for example, which is something I see on a lot of credit reports, and it'll give me a ping if the birthday I entered doesn't line up with that. Or, "this SSN was issued between 2010-2014" would obviously be a flag, if there's a credit history associated with this person that is apparently a 3 year old (Macy's etc do not notice or care, which is how people turning 18 can already have trashed credit). I have no idea if those appear on the landlord credit reports you guys get, but they are on the real credit reports. 

    I said in my previous post that you can't trust the address or employment sections of credit reports, and it's true if you're looking at a specific address or employer. However if someone tells you that they've lived in CA for their whole life, and the credit report lists 15 Alabama addresses and only 1 CA address... the person sitting across from you may be an identity thief.

  • Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    I did some research and it seems that if a person doesn't have any credit history, which is typical for a lot of young people, then there won't be any information on the credit report. No past addresses, or anything like that.

  • Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jason Elz:

    Nobody here really answered the question. Is there no way to tell from a credit check or background check if the ID information is made up? Does the system give the same response for people with made up information as it does for people with no record?

    @Jeff Gates

    I don't see how a credit agency can run facial recognition. They definitely don't have access to state databases as neither do police from out of state. State Governments would never give private companies access to that information. 

     Hi Jason,

    I can assure you this is now in the works. I have been coding this since 12/2015 to meet the new institution requirements forced on me. Having gone though this hard work, I can use this to my advantage and offer a anti scam feature. You will see this soon in other products since I am only meeting new requirements, And the accuracy is 92%.

  • Jonathan Taylor SmithBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC · Member since 2015 · 840 posts · 801 votes
    10y

    @Russell Brazilsounds like a fake name to me... But I agree with his comments completely! I can't see someone going through all that effort just to rent an apartment, when there are no shortage of rental options available. Plus, if they did, they would have extra incentive to be good tenants, so as not to call attention to themselves, much like suggested by @Jacob Sampson.

    Blue Chariot Realty & Management4.915 Reviews
  • Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Gates:

     Hi Jason,

    I can assure you this is now in the works. I have been coding this since 12/2015 to meet the new institution requirements forced on me. Having gone though this hard work, I can use this to my advantage and offer a anti scam feature. You will see this soon in other products since I am only meeting new requirements, And the accuracy is 92%.

     That is fascinating and interesting to hear. I do imagine that a system like that is in the works, but I do not think it is active or widely used as of yet. Are you able to give some more information about it, as much as you are allowed to give?

    I could definitely understand if you're talking about credit agencies keeping a record of any photo-id that is sent to them, but the notion of credit agencies being given access to state databases seems highly implausible. Those databases are not even currently interconnected and accessible to the federal government. The severs are only accessible by authorities of that state,at least as of right now.

  • Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    All I can say is this: (do research on this)

    Know your customer (KYC) is the process of a business verifying the identity of its clients. The term is also used to refer to the bank regulation which governs these activities.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    suggest you have issues with your CR and may have been subject to ID theft :sigh:

  • Rock Hill, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    10y

    Over thinking way to much...

    Alex

  • Professional · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    I've run background companies for years.  Specifically, the ID Validation that is performed in a 'typical background' regarding SSN is:

    1.  Has this SSN # been issued? 

    2.  Was this SSN issued around the Year of Birth of the consumer?

    3.  Is this SSN associated with a deceased consumer?

    A background report/Consumer Reporting Agency (CRA) cannot verify specifically whether that SSN belongs to that name/individual.  Having said that, if these red flags exist and you read your report and are getting these basic "ID Validation" components, you will know it.

  • Mark LucidoPro Member
    Investor · The Colony, TX · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    So I'm actively going through this as a landlord right now with a new tenant who provided me fake SSN information.  I currently use TenantReports.com to process my background checks for my commercial rentals.  The tenant provided me his information along with the information of his partner whom I never met.  The partner is the primary on the lease since he has the good credit.  Everything went through fine - no red flags until today (18 days later) when the real person called me as she had her credit file flagged for fraud alert.  Fortunately they haven't moved in entirely yet and my lease allows an out if the credit report/background check comes back tainted.  Just need to find a way to break the news to these guys.  Lessons learned:

    1.  Always get copies of DL

    2.  Meet the person face to face who will be the primary on the lease

    3.  You can talk to your background check company and ask if there's a fraud alert on the file

    4.  Address information as another post commented should match up to the tenant's story (this tenant had both TX and IL residences - dates should match up too)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.