Formula for raising rent but keeping tenant?

Formula for raising rent but keeping tenant?

Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 2 votes

We bought a rental property in an artsy area that was undergoing a massive transition from being run-down to now a real hot-spot.  When it came time to list the property, not only were there few other renovated rentals on the market, but our property was about twice the size as the others, making it hard to guess fair market value.  Since renting it out, we've come to realize we really undervalued the rent price.  

I believe fair market price should be at least 20% more than we are charging.  However, I know that when our current tenants lease is up, it would be difficult to raise it that much and also keep them.  They aren't the best tenants, we're had some problems, nothing major, if we lost them I wouldn't be heartbroken.  But, that would mean a vacancy and losing rental income when vacant.  

Is there any sort of formula that investors have found that shows what % rent increase can/should be made if wanting to keep the tenant in place?  For example, has it been shown that tenants tend to agree with a 5% increase but not a 10%?  Or 10% is okay, but 20% causes them to move out?  

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Jim HoganPro Member
Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 42 votes
10y
Will they still qualify with a 10-20% rent increase? I would take that into consideration too. The last thing you want is a mad tenant that can't and won't pay the rent. Figure out how much is reasonable and have the lease go month to month. In 10 months raise it a little more. Then do it again in 11 months.
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • James WilcoxBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    10y

    I think you kind of answered your own question @Suzanne B.

    "Since renting it out, we've come to realize we really undervalued the rent price."

    "They aren't the best tenants, we're had some problems, nothing major, if we lost them I wouldn't be heartbroken."

    As far as IK there is no exact formula of knowing how to raise rent. Even if there was it would just be a general rule and you really would have to look at your market and do on a case by case level. 

    However, I generally try to over deliver, but under value. Staying below market can be fine. I shoot for roughly around 10-15% under market to keep units filled, but provide excellent service and a product. If your tenants feel like they are getting a good deal and are happy then they are less likely to move. Some vacancy is normal though. If you have a muli-unit as opposed to a SFR, raising rent is easier on your wallet since your income is spread over multiple units.

    Just my 2 cents.

    REI James w/ eXp Realty54 Reviews
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y

    I say go for near full market value. What I try to do is first survey the market using a variety of rental comp sources, to get an idea of the rent range for similar units in the same neighborhood (in other, using good rental comps).  Then I set what my rent will be based on having that data, and in my rent increase letter I even give the range of rents I found; the tenant can check themselves to see I'm not lying. If the rent I offer is a better deal than others in the market, there is a better likelihood they will stay; be aware that some will move based on "principle" - mad because rent increased more than they would like, and they are willing to even pay more elsewhere just to show you you can't push them around  ...

  • Rental Property Investor · Algonquin, IL (Chicago suburbs) · Member since 2014 · 155 posts · 76 votes
    10y

    Hey Emily

    I have to agree with Jim...you've answered your own question regarding this tenant.  

    Raising rents requires a balanced approach between market rate/vacancy factor/current tenant quality. Once my units are at market rates, I don't find that a 1% or 2% increase each year is worth the vacancy risk but again, if the market jumps 10%, I would adjust but not necessarily the entire 10%. Your market's appetite will ultimately determine what is fair....trust the numbers.

    Good luck!

    Brian

  • Jim HoganPro Member
    Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 42 votes
    10y
    Will they still qualify with a 10-20% rent increase? I would take that into consideration too. The last thing you want is a mad tenant that can't and won't pay the rent. Figure out how much is reasonable and have the lease go month to month. In 10 months raise it a little more. Then do it again in 11 months.
  • Jim HoganPro Member
    Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 42 votes
    10y
    Will they still qualify with a 10-20% rent increase? I would take that into consideration too. The last thing you want is a mad tenant that can't and won't pay the rent. Figure out how much is reasonable and have the lease go month to month. In 10 months raise it a little more. Then do it again in 11 months.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.