Tenant Screening Guidance and Move in Date Complications

Tenant Screening Guidance and Move in Date Complications

Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 2 votes

Hello BiggerPockets!

I've acquired my first rental which I believe will cash flow well due to interest only financing. It is actually my primary residence as of now but we are moving in November to a new build. We have begun the process of advertising the property despite it not being available until November.  With that said I have some questions:

1. I was reading on the forums to collect the security deposit in order to hold the property until a lease is signed.  Is that still a good method giving the extended time?  If not are there other methods that would work?

2. Because we are moving to a new build we are not able to commit to a set day for a tenant to move into the rental.  The build completion date is tentatively set for Oct 27 but we all know how that goes.  I can almost guarantee us being in the new home by mid-November at the latest.  How do we word this in the contract or do we wait until we know the date to actually complete the lease?  If we did wait should that be noted when taking the security deposit from the previous question?  If so should we commit to providing a certain time period they would take possession when we take deposit? 

3. Credit History - We do have a couple that are applying as of now.  I've been told the female's credit is excellent (750+), but the male has a a short sale within the past 7 years and a bankruptcy 10 years ago.  They have stated the only item on his credit report now is a car payment and they make 70K each for a total of 150K a year.  The property is being advertised at $2200 a month so they are well over the income requirements.  I am still waiting for the report to come in from SmartMove and I will confirm income. I will also speak with past landlords.  If their statements are true what are the community's thoughts them becoming tenants?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and for any additional time spent in response. I really appreciate it.

Lance

0Reply
25 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 41 votes
    11y

    A short sale OR a bankruptcy would be enough for me to rule them out. Never mind a short sale AND a bankruptcy.

    Personally I wouldn't put it up for rent until you are out or about to be out. People might agree to move in November but if they find another place before then they will take it. If I was going to do that I would have to have some kind of cash deposit for sure but you can't expect anybody to give you a cash deposit unless you can give them an exact date it will be available. If they are willing to do that then it must be because not many other landlords will rent to them.

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    11y

    I would definitely stay away from advertising the unit this early. Too many things can happen with the prospective tenant or with you between now and then and like you said you cannot commit to a date  yet. At least wait till you're closer and have a better idea.

    If the lady alone makes $75k and has great credit I wouldn't have a problem renting to them (considering everything else checks out). She qualifies by herself so the guys income is a bonus.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.