Caulking- How to remove old caulk and what type to installl?

Caulking- How to remove old caulk and what type to installl?

Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 23 votes

1) How do you remove the old caulk from the bathtub?

I tried the red plastic Hyde Caulk removal tool that Home Depot was selling for $5, but it doesn't work that great out when its edge is still sharp. As the edge gets duller with use, I can't see its performance getting any better.

There's a similar tool in DAP Pro Caulk Tool Kit but I want to make sure it works any better before I open up the package.

Or, do you try those chemical solvents that you lay on the caulk? When I read the directions, I notice that it says to try to remove the caulk first before using it. But, if I do that, then what's the point of getting the chemical solvent in the first place?

2) Once you get the old caulk, what type of caulk do you put in? Silicone caulk or latex caulk for around the bathtub?

Silicone's double the cost, but still pretty cheap even at that price. Silicone seems like it should last longer, but its also harder to remove when its time to take it out and I'm having enough problems trying to remove latex caulk.

For rentals, do you notice a difference with silicone caulk? Or, do you have to replace the caulk with every tenant anyways so you'd want the caulk like latex that's easier to replace?

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Walled Lake, MI · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
11y

sharp box cutter blade should do the trick. adding heat from a heat gun or hair dryer will help. Here's a video that will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry8E-BQxW14

Once your done with that this video will help complete the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsNTqR6xWoY

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2011 · 204 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    use a 5 in one and remove the caulk take your time and pull it out most of the time it will come out in peaces once you get the corner. when you go to lowes or home depo in the paint section with the rest of the caulk you will see it has bath and tub caulk on it. don't skip on the cost one has non srink on it and last along time .worst case you tub remove caulk form tub and see them do it and do the same thing dap is not made for tub its for base and trim for but double check that what we use it for . .

  • Walled Lake, MI · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    sharp box cutter blade should do the trick. adding heat from a heat gun or hair dryer will help. Here's a video that will help

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry8E-BQxW14

    Once your done with that this video will help complete the job.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsNTqR6xWoY

    Good Luck!

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    I agree with@Ryan Thacker. Razor blade is how I just redid the caulk in my bath tub. 

  • Property Manager · Leesburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 92 posts · 31 votes
    11y
    I second the 5 and 1 tool it works great. It is also a great tool to have if you don't already have one they have many uses and last a long time if you buy a quality name brand one less than $10. I use locktite tub and tile caulking it's easier to apply and lasts a good while. Any caulking or silicone usually needs to be replaced for looks before it actually fails as a sealant.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.