Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Josh L.
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
Caulking- How to remove old caulk and what type to installl?

Josh L.
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Posted

1) How do you remove the old caulk from the bathtub?

I tried the red plastic Hyde Caulk removal tool that Home Depot was selling for $5, but it doesn't work that great out when its edge is still sharp. As the edge gets duller with use, I can't see its performance getting any better.

There's a similar tool in DAP Pro Caulk Tool Kit but I want to make sure it works any better before I open up the package.

Or, do you try those chemical solvents that you lay on the caulk? When I read the directions, I notice that it says to try to remove the caulk first before using it. But, if I do that, then what's the point of getting the chemical solvent in the first place?

2) Once you get the old caulk, what type of caulk do you put in? Silicone caulk or latex caulk for around the bathtub?

Silicone's double the cost, but still pretty cheap even at that price. Silicone seems like it should last longer, but its also harder to remove when its time to take it out and I'm having enough problems trying to remove latex caulk.

For rentals, do you notice a difference with silicone caulk? Or, do you have to replace the caulk with every tenant anyways so you'd want the caulk like latex that's easier to replace?

Loading replies...