beginner rental property investor! my start and future advice.

beginner rental property investor! my start and future advice.

Glens Falls, NY · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 14 votes

Hello BP,

This is only first BP post, excluding my intro post. My name is Joe and im a 23yr old accountant in the beginning my real estate investing adventure. I have been reading and learning so much in the past couple months from websites and pod-casts about investing, but I want to hear from actual people for a change!

My fiance and I are in the process of buying our first duplex with an FHA loan. Hopefully we can get this closed during March! Anyway, as everyone knows, the FHA loan is great to get your foot in the door because it allows for 3.5% down. The numbers looked real good on this property and it was in a decent location so we went for it.

Since we will be living in the top half of the building and renting the bottom half, we technically won't be "making" money, but the bottom apartment rent is $11 short of covering the total monthly payment. So, although we won't technically be "making" money, we will be saving ourselves that rent expense every month, and as far as i'm concerned.. a penny saved is a penny earned. 

So, despite not technically profiting every month, we will be saving a lot more money. Now my question is this: 

What should our next move be regarding the acquisition of a second rental property? Assuming this goes well, which is sounding very promising, I'd like to start accumulating more. Id like to hear what others have done in this situation and some advice on what i should plan on doing.

Thank you.

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 40 votes
11y

If you live there for a year, and save up the money you would normally be paying into rent, you can move into another one with a homeowner loan to rinse and repeat. At that point, you'd rent out the first unit so that it's cash-flow positive. It's a good way to get started out. I wish I had considered it when I was renting years ago...

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    Welcome! I do not do rentals, but you will get tons of great advice on your first purchase here. This is the best RE forum online, in my view :)

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    This is a great way to get into REI, save money and have options for yourselves and your future! I kind of wish my wife and I did that early on. We never bought anything together until we were married, though. Can't tell ya how many times I have seen break-ups involving real property go horribly bad. Be aware and tread carefully @Joseph Shevy !

  • Glens Falls, NY · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 14 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    This is a great way to get into REI, save money and have options for yourselves and your future! I kind of wish my wife and I did that early on. We never bought anything together until we were married, though. Can't tell ya how many times I have seen break-ups involving real property go horribly bad. Be aware and tread carefully @Joseph Shevy !

     Thanks for the reply Steve.

    Yes I think it is a smart move.. If you're going to pay rent, why not pay it to yourself? And im not worried about the "married" or "break-up" aspect of it in the slightest. More or less looking for advice on where I should go from here.

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    If you live there for a year, and save up the money you would normally be paying into rent, you can move into another one with a homeowner loan to rinse and repeat. At that point, you'd rent out the first unit so that it's cash-flow positive. It's a good way to get started out. I wish I had considered it when I was renting years ago...

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    11y

    Congrats!  I've been doing the exact same thing for the last three years and am now actively looking for my second rental property.  It's been fantastic!

    The "smart money" thing for me to do would be to rinse and repeat...ie buy another multi owner occupied, move in, and then rent out both sides of my current duplex.  But, from a lifestyle point of view, I love my house and have zero desire to do that.  However, that might be a good option for you all.

    If you go the traditional bank lending route, it seems to be pretty standard they require a 25% down payment for an investment property that will NOT be owner occupied. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.