Would you buy a potential rental property that housed cats?

Would you buy a potential rental property that housed cats?

Investor · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 8 votes

I am getting ready to finalize a contract on a potential rental property. The property looks great, we got a good price, and it will cashflow. My only concern is that the previous owner had a cat for many years. The unit has been cleaned, but we can still smell the cat, and we feel the effects of the cat dander/urine. 

Our plan is to initially rent the unit to our daughter, who is highly allergic to cats.

My concern is - can I cost effectively remove all traces of the cat, so that she can stay comfortably? We plan on removing the carpet and padding, at a minimum. What else would you do in our shoes?

Should we just walk away and look for another property?

Help.....

0Reply
17 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    If she is HIGHLY allergic than I would pass. If it was a pure rental than I would go for it an allowed pets. Pulling out the carpet, kiltz the floor and than painting the house will get rid the traces for a "normal" person.

  • Contractor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Cervi I'll pass on this deal cause once you pull the carpet & padding up the stain of urine still my be on the concrete or the wood floor. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Doylestown, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Hi @Cervi -  Depending on the severity, we Kilz the floor (if plywood remove select sheets) remove 4 ft up of drywall and base trim all around the house and remove or treat some wall studs (where you can see stains or smell cat).  If you run an ionizer for a few days that can help too.  Cats are soooooo much worse than dogs when it comes to smells.

  • Investor · Boyd, TX · Member since 2014 · 688 posts · 467 votes
    12y

    I agree with the others that cats are a pain and can really mess up a place more than dogs.  I am living with a cat lady and cat lady in training so I know first hand.  Between the urine, hair, and claw sharpening on all the woodwork they can really destroy a place.

    I would probably pass if your main plan is to put a highly allergic person in it, but if the numbers work out well and you can rent it to an animal lover it might not be a bad deal.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Elkhart, IN · Member since 2014 · 197 posts · 41 votes
    12y

    I agree with the removal of the drywall. One additional thing I would do before the ionizing  and the Kilz is to bleach treat entire area with a 50% bleach water mix. If sub flooring is soiled, it would also be a good idea to replace the sheets in those areas. A very thorough cleaning and sealing of all surfaces should bring the property to a like new condition. 

  • Investor · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    Thank you to everyone that provided feedback. We took Elizabeth and Markus' advice and passed on the cat house. Now we are in negotiations for a unit that had a dead body in it! This one was remediated extremely well, and we are hopeful.....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.