I live in Southeast Michigan and my SFR is back home in Upstate NY. When I was there back in mid May, I went to inspect the house and the tenant told me that the lally column had rusted out at the bottom, so he cut it and put it back up with boards to support the difference in length. He told me he had noticed changes in the door frame on the main floor, he said before he cut it, but I doubt that. He's always done small repairs for me after telling me about it and I would pay for materials. I'm in the middle of a divorce, so can't afford to do any major work right now. It could be a matter of six months before I can do anything costly. There are a total of three columns in the basement. I didn't know until just recently that they are used temporarily until a more permanent column is put in place. Any suggestions? I can't even afford to evict and find new tenants.
Thanks @Sean Pincus for the quick response. I did fail to mention that I do have a section in my lease requiring written permission for repairs, but he ignored it this time. I am so strapped for cash, because my husband has always collected the rent for me and nothing was set aside for maintenance. Now I can't get my hands on any of it. What can happen to it if I can't take care of it for six months? Should I call a contractor to come in to do an estimate and ask my tenant to pay the $100? And if the cost will be a few hundred, should I ask the tenant to pay in lieu of eviction? He and his wife have lived there for over ten years. They are older people, early 70's, and never want to leave there. I'm a total newbie to investing. I purchased the SFR in 1996 and lived there until 2001 when I met my husband and started renting it out. I'm only now considering REI after the divorce. I have much to learn, obviously!
Its definitely a structural issue. If properly sized and positioned a post made of two, three, or maybe more 2x4s will be adequate for support. The lally post should never have been removed without supporting the beam. Then it could have been removed and replaced with a post. At this point, though, the beam will need to be jacked back into the proper position. This is usually done SLOWLY to avoid further damage. The technique at this point would be to support the beam with temporary supports, remove the post that's there now, put in a new lally post and adjust the screw just until the temporary support are loose. Then turn it about a quarter turn every few days or once a week until the beam is back in position. Doing it all at once will result in sheetrock, door and window damage. Of course that could have happened when it was removed, so this may not too big of an issue at this point.
Maybe their temporary but my house was built in 1947 and has one that's been there the entire time.
Unless he can provide proof the post wasn't supporting anything I would definitely charge the tenant for these repairs.
This shows the necessity of having cash for repairs if you want to be a landlord. Six months rent is my guideline. I had one situation last summer where a text from a tenant results in exactly that sort of repair, so this isn't hypothetical. The bill was actually a bit more than six months rent before it was all over and done.
@Jon Holdman and @Maggie H.
Jon hit the nail on the head with exactly what I was describing. I spared the details because I believe a contractor will be best to serve you in this case. In any event, Jon's post is great information.
As for the waiting six months... If you can remedy it right now with a few 2x4's or 4x4's and follow Jon's info., you can position the studs next to the the lally column(s) and have it be temporary support until you have the funds to do the fix. Without seeing how far the joists span and how many columns were cut, it's hard to make a determination on whether the situation is "fine". Get some support under the joists right away and work on having a contractor come out. I am a project manager for a construction company and we remove these column all the time from houses and reposition them. The process is to support the weight of the house with lumber until the columns are reset.
Note: Again, nto harp on the costs--it's a cheap fix. Lally columns won't run you more than $40 - $50 a pop. It's the labor to have someone come out and do it that will cost you a few bucks. If you're handy go check out the Dean Column Co., Inc. They have a video on their site on how to install them. Real easy and simple solution.
I would definitely make all attempts to have the tenant pay for the repairs.
Thanks @Sean Pincus for the quick response. I did fail to mention that I do have a section in my lease requiring written permission for repairs, but he ignored it this time. I am so strapped for cash, because my husband has always collected the rent for me and nothing was set aside for maintenance. Now I can't get my hands on any of it. What can happen to it if I can't take care of it for six months? Should I call a contractor to come in to do an estimate and ask my tenant to pay the $100? And if the cost will be a few hundred, should I ask the tenant to pay in lieu of eviction? He and his wife have lived there for over ten years. They are older people, early 70's, and never want to leave there. I'm a total newbie to investing. I purchased the SFR in 1996 and lived there until 2001 when I met my husband and started renting it out. I'm only now considering REI after the divorce. I have much to learn, obviously!
At this point I would say your section in the lease about him having to get written permission from you is not going to do you much good as you said you have always allowed him to do repairs himself then tell you about it later. (Doctrine of Laches)
Under the circumstances I'd say your prolly going to need to pay for this. There is a structural problem with your home & you had set the precedent that the tenant is allowed to make attempts to fix the home so I don't see you making him pay for damage that "may or may not" have occurred from him removing the rusted out support.
It's unfortunate but this is part of the business.
Thank you @Sean Pincus
I will be working toward resolving the situation using this information. One question is how will I know what the previous or proper position was of the old column to reach it with the new one?
@James Wise my tenant has never done repairs without getting permission from me first. That's why I'm surprised he would do something as drastic as cutting this column. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks so much for your input.