what is Zillow doing for listing of rental?

what is Zillow doing for listing of rental?

Homeowner · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 358 posts · 65 votes

I listed a rental property on Zillow and paid for premium exposure to increase visibility. While I understand this may not be the best time for high demand, the lack of inquiries has been unusually low—something I’ve never experienced before.

When I searched for similar rentals in the area, I discovered that my listing does not show up properly. Instead, it is grouped under another address in the same community, which happens to have the lowest price. It’s similar to how apartment listings are grouped by bedroom count and price. However, I’ve never seen single-family home listings on Zillow presented this way. But some properties of same community is not under this chain and can be seen as  single listings.

If I don't scroll past the lowest-priced SFR listing in that chain, I can't even find mine. This is despite there being other similar single-family home listings in the area that are not grouped in this way.

I contacted Zillow about this issue, especially since when I search for my specific listing directly and click on the public view, it shows outdated information (e.g., old history) rather than listing it as available for rent.

What is going on with Zillow’s listing display? This is the first time I’ve had such few inquiries, and my research suggests Zillow might be selectively prioritizing certain properties, like the lowest-priced ones. Why is this happening? 

Thanks.

0Reply
44 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tim DelaneyPro Member
    Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
    1y

    Have you listed this exact house before? It sounds like an address error, what did support say about the issue?

    I use Zillow (and its network) exclusively now and have not had any issues finding tenants. I paid for premium once and saw no noticeable difference in the number of inquiries so I don’t pay for it anymore.

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Please let us know what you could find out from Zillow. It is pretty odd and frustrating problem you have. I myself didn't have any problem with the premium ad. It went to the top page when I searched in that area. But I only paid for once, didn't pay for other rental.

  • Homeowner · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 358 posts · 65 votes
    1y

    I emailed Zillow about this issue but have not received a response yet. I also tried calling their support line for listings, but no one answered.

    To investigate further, I re-listed the property with identical information but without paying for the premium $29.99 option. Surprisingly, the new listing now appears correctly in the search results. This makes me wonder if paying the $29.99 fee might be causing some kind of issue with Zillow’s system.

    Will update if Zillow can response me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.