Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Cecilia Hagan
  • Property Manager
  • Denton, TX
Votes |
Insights on Pet Ownership with Renters 2024

Cecilia Hagan
  • Property Manager
  • Denton, TX
Posted

I wanted to share some interesting data from a recent article in the Residential Resource, the monthly newsletter of the National Association of Residential Property Managers, Pros and Cons of Allowing Pets in Rental Properties, (Ferreira, 2024). It looks like Texas is leading the way in pet-friendliness, which is something to consider if you're a self-managing landlord. Not allowing pets could impact the marketability of your rental, especially in cities like Dallas.

According to the article:

"Data from Zillow reveals that twice as many renters filter for pet-friendly listings compared to any other amenity in the country’s 25 largest rental markets. The top three pet-friendly cities are all located in Texas, with Dallas leading the pack at 79% pet-friendly rental listings, followed closely by Austin and San Antonio. Interestingly, the most popular dog breed across all three cities is the Labrador retriever. Nationally, 59% of renters report having at least one pet, and 40% have a dog."

I know that pet damage is a big concern for many self-managing landlords. It can be scary! Hopefully this information can help you make an informed decision when deciding whether to allow pets or not. 

For self-managing landlords, what are some of your favorite practices and policies to mitgate your fears and and potential losses around pets?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Cecilia Hagan:

Good renters tend to be good pet owners. With over 100 pet-friendly rentals, I rarely have a pet problem that creates a financial loss.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Cecilia Hagan
  • Property Manager
  • Denton, TX
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Denton, TX
Replied

Agreed! I think it's easy for those of use who manage dozens or hundreds of rentals to be comfortable with pets because we see that it's a net positive. For a self-managing landlord within only 1 or 2 rentals, it can be pretty intimidating to think about the cons of allowing pets. I hope this information can demonstrate why it's still important to consider.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.