Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Wai Chan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Providing tenant alternate accommodation when i need to fix the house

Wai Chan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted

There is some deferred maintenance tenant want me to take care of in the bathroom and kitchen in a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom house. The work should take about 4-5 days. The work is pretty extensive so I want tenant to move out temporarily while the contractor can do the job easier. The tenant has a few other people that I am not aware of living in the unit and also have two dogs. I have been graciously turning a blind eye to the occupant and dogs situation for the past. However, when I told the tenant that I will provide one hotel suite for 4 people (2 queen bed with kitchen and free breakfast), she has started demanding me to provide room and board for everyone including the dogs. She told me I know the dogs live there so I should also take care of it. The hotel is about 4 miles away from where she lives but she demands that the location has to be close to her grandkids' school (I actually have no idea her grandkids live there). I thought I have been providing enough assistance to help with the situation but it seems that she now tries to take advantage of me. I am only asking her to move out for 6 nights but what she is demanding will cost me ~2/3 of the rent. At one point she even said if the hotel doesn't provide kitchen then I need to pay her $500 just for food for 6 nights.

If you were the landlord, what would you do? 

Loading replies...