Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Luke Eastman
Pro Member
Votes |
Rental properties in LLC

Luke Eastman
Pro Member
Posted Aug 24 2024, 06:57

Hello I had a question, my father passed away a few years ago and left us two rental properties in Virginia. Both properties owned free and clear by our mother but my brother has the power of attorney. We are trying to get everything in order and are thinking about forming an LLC for them. We live out of state. I was wondering, should the LLC be registered in our home state or in the state where the properties are? Also, should it be a separate LLC for each house? And on a different note, each property has had the same tenants for 10+ years now but we haven't raised rents in maybe 7 years and they are way too low, is there a legal process you have to go through to raise rents or can we just tell the tenants that rent is increasing by a few percent? In case you couldn't tell, we are new at this and any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 25 2024, 20:03
Quote from @Luke Eastman:

Hello I had a question, my father passed away a few years ago and left us two rental properties in Virginia. Both properties owned free and clear by our mother but my brother has the power of attorney. We are trying to get everything in order and are thinking about forming an LLC for them. We live out of state. I was wondering, should the LLC be registered in our home state or in the state where the properties are? Also, should it be a separate LLC for each house? And on a different note, each property has had the same tenants for 10+ years now but we haven't raised rents in maybe 7 years and they are way too low, is there a legal process you have to go through to raise rents or can we just tell the tenants that rent is increasing by a few percent? In case you couldn't tell, we are new at this and any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Luke, I am not an attorney. Take the below with a grain of salt.

When deciding whether to form an LLC in the state where your real estate property is located or in the state where you reside, several factors need to be considered:

1. State Laws and Requirements

• Local Laws: Real estate is generally governed by the laws of the state where the property is located. Having an LLC in that state may simplify compliance with local regulations, tax filings, and property management.
  • State-Specific LLC Requirements: Each state has different requirements for forming and maintaining an LLC. Forming the LLC in the state where the property is located might be more straightforward, avoiding the need to register as a foreign LLC in that state.

2. Tax Implications

• State Taxes: If you form an LLC in your home state, but the property is in another state, you might have to file tax returns and pay taxes in both states. Forming the LLC in the state where the property is located may help avoid double taxation or the need for additional filings.
  • Franchise Taxes and Fees: Some states have franchise taxes or annual fees for LLCs. These costs can vary significantly by state, so it's important to compare the financial impact of forming the LLC in either state.

3. Liability Protection

• Asset Protection: The primary reason for holding real estate in an LLC is to protect your personal assets from liability. Forming the LLC in the state where the property is located may offer clearer legal protections under that state's laws.
  • Corporate Veil: Courts tend to respect the corporate veil (the legal distinction between the LLC and its owners) more when the LLC is properly formed and operated in the state where the property is located, reducing the risk of personal liability.

4. Operating Convenience

• Administration: Managing the LLC might be easier if it's formed in the state where you reside, especially if you plan to handle administrative tasks yourself. However, you would still need to register it as a foreign LLC in the state where the property is located, leading to additional paperwork and costs.

5. Foreign LLC Registration

• Dual State Requirements: If you form the LLC in your home state, you'll likely need to register it as a foreign LLC in the state where the property is located. This involves additional registration fees, annual reports, and possibly hiring a registered agent in the state where the property is located.

6. Privacy Considerations

• Anonymity: Some states allow LLC owners to maintain greater privacy by not requiring public disclosure of the members. If privacy is a concern, consider the state's rules on anonymity and how they align with your goals.

7. Professional Advice

• Consult with a Professional (both an attorney and an accountant)! I highly recommended you consult with a real estate attorney or tax professional who understands both states' laws. They can provide specific advice based on your situation, goals, and the nature of the property.

Sorry this post is a lot longer than I intended. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Hampton
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Aug 25 2024, 23:24

@Luke Eastman

How you raise the rent depends on the lease. 

If they are on a one year lease you usually have to give notice  one or two months before the lease expires. 

If they are on a month to month lease you can immediately give one or two months notice. 

Check the rental laws in the state to determine the notice period. 

Since you are new to this you may want hire a property manager to handle managing the properties for you. 

Good luck. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 26 2024, 05:07

Talk to an attorney about putting the properties in an LLC to see if that's the best option for you. The attorney should be capable of explaining the pros and cons of different options.

There's no rent control in Virginia, so you can raise as much as you want as long as it meets the terms of the lease. You can't increase rent on an existing lease. If their lease term expired, then they are automatically converted to a month-to-month lease and you can give them 30 days notice.

I recommend you study the market to determine an accurate rent rate. Talk to your tenants and see if they are interested in staying with a rent increase. Bump them up close to market rate, but consider keeping it 5-10% below market as an incentive for them staying. For example, if they are at $1,000 now and market rent is $1,600 then I would offer an increase to $1,500 as an incentive to stay. If they choose to leave, then I would give them no more than 60 days to vacate, clean the place up, and rent it for market rate. If they choose to stay, check their income to verify they can afford the new rent rate.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
#4 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
#4 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Aug 26 2024, 05:14

Putting it in an LLC will allow protection for you and your brother. Which state depends on where you live and the strength of the LLC in that state. You will have to do your research on legalities and paying taxes. You can raise the rent when you go to renew the tenant, if you have a lease in place. If they are month to month you can give them 30 days notice, we give 60 as we feel that it is fair. You are probably going to need to have a conversation with the tenant before you raise it so you can smooth it over.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Aug 26 2024, 05:39

@Luke Eastman what's probably more important, is to speak with an estate planning attorney.

Your mother should probably have a Trust, to avoid the properties having to go through probate when she dies.

As part of the Trust, the estate planner may recommend an LLC or not.

User Stats

Votes
Luke Eastman
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 27 2024, 11:08
Quote from @Glenn Cross:

Luke, I am not an attorney. Take the below with a grain of salt.

When deciding whether to form an LLC in the state where your real estate property is located or in the state where you reside, several factors need to be considered:

1. State Laws and Requirements

• Local Laws: Real estate is generally governed by the laws of the state where the property is located. Having an LLC in that state may simplify compliance with local regulations, tax filings, and property management.
  • State-Specific LLC Requirements: Each state has different requirements for forming and maintaining an LLC. Forming the LLC in the state where the property is located might be more straightforward, avoiding the need to register as a foreign LLC in that state.

2. Tax Implications

• State Taxes: If you form an LLC in your home state, but the property is in another state, you might have to file tax returns and pay taxes in both states. Forming the LLC in the state where the property is located may help avoid double taxation or the need for additional filings.
  • Franchise Taxes and Fees: Some states have franchise taxes or annual fees for LLCs. These costs can vary significantly by state, so it's important to compare the financial impact of forming the LLC in either state.

3. Liability Protection

• Asset Protection: The primary reason for holding real estate in an LLC is to protect your personal assets from liability. Forming the LLC in the state where the property is located may offer clearer legal protections under that state's laws.
  • Corporate Veil: Courts tend to respect the corporate veil (the legal distinction between the LLC and its owners) more when the LLC is properly formed and operated in the state where the property is located, reducing the risk of personal liability.

4. Operating Convenience

• Administration: Managing the LLC might be easier if it's formed in the state where you reside, especially if you plan to handle administrative tasks yourself. However, you would still need to register it as a foreign LLC in the state where the property is located, leading to additional paperwork and costs.

5. Foreign LLC Registration

• Dual State Requirements: If you form the LLC in your home state, you'll likely need to register it as a foreign LLC in the state where the property is located. This involves additional registration fees, annual reports, and possibly hiring a registered agent in the state where the property is located.

6. Privacy Considerations

• Anonymity: Some states allow LLC owners to maintain greater privacy by not requiring public disclosure of the members. If privacy is a concern, consider the state's rules on anonymity and how they align with your goals.

7. Professional Advice

• Consult with a Professional (both an attorney and an accountant)! I highly recommended you consult with a real estate attorney or tax professional who understands both states' laws. They can provide specific advice based on your situation, goals, and the nature of the property.

Sorry this post is a lot longer than I intended. 

Glenn, 

That is a lot of good information, I didn't even think about most of that so thank you. Its looking like we will be doing it in Virginia to make things easier, more straightforward and to avoid the extra taxes. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Luke Eastman
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 27 2024, 11:13
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Luke Eastman what's probably more important, is to speak with an estate planning attorney.

Your mother should probably have a Trust, to avoid the properties having to go through probate when she dies.

As part of the Trust, the estate planner may recommend an LLC or not.

Thanks Drew,

Is it common to run into issues with the probate process? I know everything is in order with her will and I am the executor of it, would you still recommend a trust? I appreciate the feedback!

User Stats

Votes
Luke Eastman
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 27 2024, 11:35
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

Talk to an attorney about putting the properties in an LLC to see if that's the best option for you. The attorney should be capable of explaining the pros and cons of different options.

There's no rent control in Virginia, so you can raise as much as you want as long as it meets the terms of the lease. You can't increase rent on an existing lease. If their lease term expired, then they are automatically converted to a month-to-month lease and you can give them 30 days notice.

I recommend you study the market to determine an accurate rent rate. Talk to your tenants and see if they are interested in staying with a rent increase. Bump them up close to market rate, but consider keeping it 5-10% below market as an incentive for them staying. For example, if they are at $1,000 now and market rent is $1,600 then I would offer an increase to $1,500 as an incentive to stay. If they choose to leave, then I would give them no more than 60 days to vacate, clean the place up, and rent it for market rate. If they choose to stay, check their income to verify they can afford the new rent rate.

No rent control in VA is good to know we wont have to deal with any of that. I did look at the market rates over there and they are both paying about 300$ below market rate and so far we haven't increased it because the properties are located in a very small town so we don't want to lose the them as tenants. But I like your idea of just talking to them first and also checking their income. But either way we will definitely keep it below market rate so they have that incentive to stay. Thank you!