Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Albert Johnson
Votes |
Tenant have security camera facing other unit

Albert Johnson
Posted

One of my tenants have security camera facing other unit. Tenant also havehis vehicles parked in their assigned parking space.

the tenant complaining says it's facing them and it's an invasion of privacy.

is this between the two tenants to work out?

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Greg M.#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

No, this is a landlord issue. Because you're going to lose one tenant due to the actions of another tenant. 

If it is assigned parking, contact the tenant in writing and let them know that they are not to park there and next time they will be towed without warning. Make sure you have proper signage up in the parking lot. Follow through on the towing if it happens again. 

Don't know your location, but generally cameras are not allowed to face into others private areas. What a private area is, is debatable, but is generally areas not viewable from public areas. Where is the camera pointed at? 

User Stats

Votes
Albert Johnson
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Greg M.:

No, this is a landlord issue. Because you're going to lose one tenant due to the actions of another tenant. 

If it is assigned parking, contact the tenant in writing and let them know that they are not to park there and next time they will be towed without warning. Make sure you have proper signage up in the parking lot. Follow through on the towing if it happens again. 

Don't know your location, but generally cameras are not allowed to face into others private areas. What a private area is, is debatable, but is generally areas not viewable from public areas. Where is the camera pointed at? 

The parking area is an assign spot. However it faces tenants unit . The camera also faces that direction. That was the point I was getting at. 

is that a landlord issue or tenant issue, because camera is facing the assign parking spot and tenants direction?

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied

So the camera is facing the tenants assigned parking space and it happens to get the other tenant unit in it as the same time? So he wants a camera on his car for safety reasons and it just happens to get the other unit in the picture.... I assume a common area, front porch etc, i.e no a private area like back yard .... then I dont see that as an issue 

User Stats

Votes
Albert Johnson
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Ned J.:

So the camera is facing the tenants assigned parking space and it happens to get the other tenant unit in it as the same time? So he wants a camera on his car for safety reasons and it just happens to get the other unit in the picture.... I assume a common area, front porch etc, i.e no a private area like back yard .... then I dont see that as an issue 

Tenant is asking also to see a video or photo of what the camera sees

I'm assuming it wouldn't be a landlord issue?

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

the parking is a landlord issue if tenants are not parking in their assigned spots. For the camera, can they reposition it so it doesn't point at the other door?  Is the camera set up to point at their car (ie the tenant who owns the camera is using it to monitor their car) or to point at the other tenant's car?

User Stats

Votes
Albert Johnson
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

the parking is a landlord issue if tenants are not parking in their assigned spots. For the camera, can they reposition it so it doesn't point at the other door?  Is the camera set up to point at their car (ie the tenant who owns the camera is using it to monitor their car) or to point at the other tenant's car?

The camera is pointing at their own car, but the unit right next to the parking about 25 yards away is the other tenants unit

the tenant complaining wants to see the video or picture of what it can see

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Albert Johnson:
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

The camera is pointing at their own car, but the unit right next to the parking about 25 yards away is the other tenants unit

the tenant complaining wants to see the video or picture of what it can see

Fair enough. Ask for a screenshot, so they can see what it covers.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

As the landlord, I would make it clear that the tenant's camera should not invade the privacy of another tenant. Ask for an image showing what it records, show it to the other tenant, and see if they are Ok with it. If the other tenant feels it is intrusive, then make the tenant remove it or adjust it until everyone is happy.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied

I agree with Nathan..... there should be a compromise to make both happy.

But legally the camera is pointing towards his vehicle, in his parking assigned space and if its also viewing a common public area, there is no invasion of privacy... its a common shared access area. I doubt it would hold up legally.

The cameras on the front of my house cover my driveway and you can see the front of several of my neighbors houses and front doors and driveways in the background. No one cares....I can stand in my driveway and see all the same stuff.