Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
I have a great tenant, going on Year 4 in a SFH in an Indianapolis suburb. I did a 6% rent increase ($90) for 2023-2024 and did a less than 2% increase ($30) this renewal 2024-2025. New rent is $1680. The increases aren't keeping up with my property tax increases but I don't want this tenant to move out. I'm slightly below market rent. She just communicated to my PM about asking if she could have a pet rabbit. I'm open to this but would like to charge a monthly pet fee or a one time fee (per a year long lease).
With a previous tenant in 2019 I charged $35 for that tenant with a small dog. If I had been a large dog (e.g. 45 lbs or heavier, like Labrador, Golden Retriever, etc) I would have charged $45. My PM said some people charge both an additional security refundable deposit ($250 was my thought at the time) and monthly pet fee or I could just do one. I did the monthly pet fee/rent. Since it's 2024 and costs have gone up, I would increase those numbers to maybe $40 (small dog/cat) and $50 (larger dog).
What are people doing with pet fees? In this case with a rabbit, what do you think is a fair monthly pet fee? Or a one time fee? I was thinking $30 a month. I would think a rabbit does less damage than a cat or small dog. Do I look greedy if I charge more?
Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y
@Becca F., I charge a refundable $250 deposit plus $25/month per pet. I don't charge differently for different sizes because I don't want to be showing up in a scale to determine if the pet is over or under the weight threshold. I also tack on a $50 pet cleaning fee because there will generally be some extra cleaning related to pets when they leave. I clean no matter how clean the tenant appears to leave the unit.
My policy is based on the goal of collecting enough to cover a typical amount of pet damage over a 1 year lease. So, that if they stay longer or have multiple pets I will end up ahead on average but otherwise over the long run I am reasonably protected for the additional damage risks. I allow pets as a way to attract and keep better tenants longer. So, I make more money by reducing vacancy/turnover and having fewer tenant issues more than by collecting additional income from the pets.
Real Estate Agent · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2024 · 24 posts · 7 votes
2y
We charge a non-refundable deposit and then a monthly fee. You can probably charge the same pet fee for a rabbit as you would a dog without any pushback.
Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Thanks for the responses. I looked up rabbits as pets. They like to chew and can damage baseboards, molding, walls, etc. They will go the bathroom everywhere but can be trained to use a letterbox. If the litter isn't cleaned up it will stink a lot. I feel that it would not be fun for the rabbit to be in a cage 24/7. The tenants would have to supervise the bunny closely if loose inside the house. The winter and summer temperatures wouldn't work letting a rabbit roam in the garage. My backyard doesn't have a fence. Some people are allergic to rabbit hair so I would need to get the air ducts and entire house deep cleaned if the tenant moves out.
As far as damage to wood molding I saw estimates of up to $4000 to repair...that's really high. A $30 monthly fee ($360 total year) isn't going to cover that kind of damage. It almost sounds like having a large dog who is trained would be better as far as potential damage.
Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y
@Becca F., I charge a refundable $250 deposit plus $25/month per pet. I don't charge differently for different sizes because I don't want to be showing up in a scale to determine if the pet is over or under the weight threshold. I also tack on a $50 pet cleaning fee because there will generally be some extra cleaning related to pets when they leave. I clean no matter how clean the tenant appears to leave the unit.
My policy is based on the goal of collecting enough to cover a typical amount of pet damage over a 1 year lease. So, that if they stay longer or have multiple pets I will end up ahead on average but otherwise over the long run I am reasonably protected for the additional damage risks. I allow pets as a way to attract and keep better tenants longer. So, I make more money by reducing vacancy/turnover and having fewer tenant issues more than by collecting additional income from the pets.
To my knowledge rabbit urine doesn't stick around like cat urine, but they can still go everywhere, chew on things, and cause other damage.
You are already below market rate. Do you honestly believe your tenant will move away just because you charge $50 for a pet? It will cost her thousands to move, she will probably have to pay more at a new place, and they probably won't accept her rabbit, either.
Know our value and charge it. When you don't charge market rates, you can't afford to maintain your property or afford costly turnovers.
Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2024 · 86 posts · 51 votes
2y
For us, we wouldn't charge a pet fee for anything small such as rabbits, bird's, etc's. For fish, we may charge a higher security deposit or require a higher renters insurance depending on the size of the aquarium.
Typically we do all pets on a case-by-case basis pending owner approval, and there would either be a $500 non-refundable pet deposit due prior to move-in per pet or a $50 non-refundable monthly fee per pet.
I've always done $100 upfront plus 25/mo in a neighborhood with predominantly pitbulls in every household and have rarely been under on that. My worst cases were just small sections of garage wall replacements and some baseboards at handyman rates. I am not sure what you are paying for work done but 30 a month should be more than enough to cover
Thanks. I listened to too many people saying they don't raise rents on good tenants, including a few of my California friends who have kept the same rent for 10 years, their reasoning being I bought the property cheap in 2008. My rent is what 1 bedroom apartments are charging since it's in a nice suburb with great schools.
Mine is 3 bed/2 bath with an attached garage. I'm guessing Rentometer is factoring in 3 bedrooms and 4 bedrooms into the numbers below? My house was built in 2005 - I don't have new white cabinets (like almost every upgraded kitchen now) or granite/quartz countertops but the cabinets are an upgrade from 2005, bathrooms are an upgrade from 2005 base model, no LVP floors, has carpet and linoleum (that looks like tile from a distance). Should we only be charging higher end rent if we have these upgrades?
According to Rentometer:
Median rent $1895, Average rent $1967, 25th percentile $1717, 75th percentile $2217
Charge a $500 refundable deposit and a monthly pet fee. Give the tenant some credit for asking first. I've never seen a little box trained rabbit but I guess its possible. They do tend to go in the same place, but its usually of their choosing.
Property Manager · Indianapolis · Member since 2017 · 303 posts · 146 votes
2y
We charge $25 for one pet and $10 for each additional pet. This is mostly based on having a dog or a cat. Charging for a rabbit is really up to your discretion. We don't charge an additional deposit unless there are 3 or more pets in the home.
Thanks. I listened to too many people saying they don't raise rents on good tenants, including a few of my California friends who have kept the same rent for 10 years, their reasoning being I bought the property cheap in 2008.
I know a lot of landlords that keep rents low, thinking their tenants will appreciate it and be better. In most cases, they lose money from the low rents and they lose money because the tenants slowly destroy the property. And they often leave owing unpaid rent, cleaning, and repairs.
I have rescued dozens of landlords who thought like you. Their good intentions cost them a lot of time, money, energy, and stress.
Thanks for the responses. I looked up rabbits as pets. They like to chew and can damage baseboards, molding, walls, etc. They will go the bathroom everywhere but can be trained to use a letterbox. If the litter isn't cleaned up it will stink a lot. I feel that it would not be fun for the rabbit to be in a cage 24/7. The tenants would have to supervise the bunny closely if loose inside the house. The winter and summer temperatures wouldn't work letting a rabbit roam in the garage. My backyard doesn't have a fence. Some people are allergic to rabbit hair so I would need to get the air ducts and entire house deep cleaned if the tenant moves out.
As far as damage to wood molding I saw estimates of up to $4000 to repair...that's really high. A $30 monthly fee ($360 total year) isn't going to cover that kind of damage. It almost sounds like having a large dog who is trained would be better as far as potential damage.
I'm surprised that you didn't mention tularemia killing humans and that burrowing rabbits can damage house foundations. You are WAY overthinking this.
It's a rabbit. You said your tenant was "great". Tell them yes, but reiterate to them that they are responsible for damages.
You do not need to deep clean the house because some people are allergic to rabbit fur. They aren't installing a meth lab, it's a rabbit.
I'd charge nothing extra. If you do it suddenly becomes an ESA or in the case of a rabbit, the tenant is just growing their own food.