Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Faraias
Votes |
Previous Tenants damaged rental, blocked Landlord - Please advise

Melissa Faraias
Posted

Hello BP community,

I am a relatively new landlord, who has a few out of state rentals in South Carolina that were managed by a friend and his property management company. I recently took over the management of the rentals and a couple of months later the tenants in one of my units decided to move out. They were two young women who always paid their rent on time and seemed very responsible. As a result we were not expecting to see what we saw when we went to get the unit ready for the next tenants. The unit was completely dirty, damaged and looked like a fixer upper. I guess they did not clean the unit for over 3 years and did not call the old property management company when things started to break.  We got several quotes for cleaning and repairs, which added up to almost $4000 beyond normal wear and tear. We decided to keep their entire deposit of $2000 and bill them the rest. We sent them the photos and videos to back up the invoice and they have decided to block our emails and calls. What do you suggest we do in such a situation? To be honest, I think we may just need to bear the costs and learn from this and do regular unit checks going forward (which was not done by the previous property management company).  However I would hate for them to do this to their current landlord, who did not even call us for a previous landlord reference. Should we call up their current landlord to warn them about these renters? Can we do something else to scare them a bit so that they never do this again? Thank you for any advice you can give. 

Loading replies...