Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Broken Sewer Line

Rosalie DiPietro
Posted Jul 2 2024, 16:52

On Saturday, 6/29, in the late afternoon, for the second time within two weeks, the sewer trap was backing up....thank God for leak sensors.  Contacted sewer company with whom I have a contract /insurance again.  The came and this time did a video inspection....the sewer line is broken.   The sewer company tells me that it's covered however, they need to file for a permit to dig through the NYC DEP (manages the water and sewer lines) on Monday morning, citing that it may take several days.   

This is a two family, tenant occupied property.  I had to tell the tenants that they could not use the faucets/washers/toilets otherwise the sewage would back up onto the basement floor.  They went to go stay with their nearby relatives but I do see them coming in/out of the house through the security camera.   The apartment is inhabitable, just no water/toilet access.

Luckily, the permit was issued by late Monday afternoon.  However, there were other jobs ahead of mine and water leaks are a priorty over broken sewer lines.  After waiting another day, on Tuesday I was told that the repair would be made on Friday, 7/5....the July 4th holiday added to the delay.

My tenants have been understanding.  This situation was beyond my control and I took quick, aggressive action.  My tenants know that when they call me with an issue, I act swiftly to resolve the problem.  One tenant however, did refer to having their rent pro-rated by the number of days that the situation would last.

There is a clause in both their leases that they are responsible to carry renters insurance to protect their personal belongings against fire, theft, flood, loss of use etc.  However, none of them purchased it.  I'm wondering now if I should manate it....that's another issue.

What would you do?

Loading replies...