Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Tenant Has Excessive Dog Barking

Posted

I am currently house-hacking an upper/lower duplex and recently had a tenant turnover. The new tenant has a dog, which I decided to allow and had them sign a Pet Agreement. However, the dog has excessive barking whenever the tenant is not home. I am going back through the signed Pet Agreement and I do have two statements pertaining to this that read "Tenant will not allow pet(s) to cause any danger, damage, nuisance, undue noise, or health hazard," and "Dogs: Must be controlled at all times. Must be kept on a short leash while on grounds or in common areas. Barking which becomes a nuisance to other tenants will not be tolerated." Even with these statements on the signed Pet Agreement, does anyone have any suggestions for how to handle this situation? They just signed a lease recently and have 11 months left. When I've met the dog in person, it's very calm and nice; it just seems to bark a lot when its owner is not home. I'm hoping it's getting used to its new home, but that may not be the case. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Maybe an ultrasonic bark deterrent would work in the apartment.

Maybe a bark collar would work, although I have admit some people think they're mean.

This is a problem you do not run into with cats.

Also your backyard will probably become the dogs restroom and you need to think about who is gonna clean that up if anyone is. Because as it piles up back there and does not get cleaned up it's so smell very bad quickly.

This is just one of the reasons I think cats make better tenants than dogs.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Spencer Krautkramer:

1. Give the tenant a written warning. If the dog doesn't stop barking, it will have to be removed or the tenant will have to leave. If not corrected in two weeks, follow through with removing the animal or termination.

2. Give the tenant some suggestions. I have found that shock collars do not work, but these inexpensive anti-barking devices work pretty well. Put one in each area where the dog barks. My dogs stopped barking immediately and now they bark 90% less than they used to. https://www.amazon.com/Barking-Rechargeable-Ultrasonic-Deter...

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!