Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sam Chan
Votes |
Sacramento County STR

Sam Chan
Posted

Hi, 

Do I need to wait for the STR permit before I put the listing on Airbnb and vrb in Sacramento County, CA? I already submitted the permit but haven't heard from the office yet. Does anyone have experience in the Sacramento County area?

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

You need to be licensed first. Follow up. 

User Stats

Votes
Sam Chan
Votes |
Replied

license by county? the permit or business license or both?

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Scoville
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied
Quote from @Sam Chan:

Hi, 

Do I need to wait for the STR permit before I put the listing on Airbnb and vrb in Sacramento County, CA? I already submitted the permit but haven't heard from the office yet. Does anyone have experience in the Sacramento County area?

Yes, you need to be licensed. But you could always rent as an MTR on Furnished Finders in the mean time. No license required.

Scoville Realty & Investments LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Sam Chan
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Scott Scoville:
Quote from @Sam Chan:

Hi, 

Yes, you need to be licensed. But you could always rent as an MTR on Furnished Finders in the mean time. No license required.

Thank you.

How long does the STR permit usually take?

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied

If a permit is required I absolutely would not list it before then. Big jurisdictions are going after properties that are unpermitted and the fines can be substantial, as can the penalties. Marketing it as an MTR might be a good alternative so long as Sacramento doesn't also regulate MTRs.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Chan
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Bonnie Low:

If a permit is required I absolutely would not list it before then. Big jurisdictions are going after properties that are unpermitted and the fines can be substantial, as can the penalties. Marketing it as an MTR might be a good alternative so long as Sacramento doesn't also regulate MTRs.

Sac don't seem to have regulation for MTRs. How do you market it?

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sundberg
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied

I have a MTR in the Med Center area just outside of downtown and it's been great for 2 years now. 

You do still need to get it inspected through the Rental Housing Inspection Program, but that's pretty easy. They're just making sure the house is livable and you can find their checklist on the city website so you know what they're looking for. To my understanding too, you can rent your property out while you wait for the inspection and results, and if you miss some items on the inspection they're pretty easy to work with to get it remediated (In my inspection I was missing a smoke detector in the basement and they let me send photos when it was installed). There are fees, but the big one is upfront and then yearly it's like $18 to renew and they let you self-certify for 5 years. Not a big deal. 

As for marketing Furnished Finders is the gold standard for MTR.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Chan
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Dan Sundberg:

I have a MTR in the Med Center area just outside of downtown and it's been great for 2 years now. 

You do still need to get it inspected through the Rental Housing Inspection Program, but that's pretty easy. They're just making sure the house is livable and you can find their checklist on the city website so you know what they're looking for. To my understanding too, you can rent your property out while you wait for the inspection and results, and if you miss some items on the inspection they're pretty easy to work with to get it remediated (In my inspection I was missing a smoke detector in the basement and they let me send photos when it was installed). There are fees, but the big one is upfront and then yearly it's like $18 to renew and they let you self-certify for 5 years. Not a big deal. 

As for marketing Furnished Finders is the gold standard for MTR.

Hi Dan

Is the inspection for MTR or STR or LTR? Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sundberg
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied

You know I'm not sure if it's required for STR or not. However I'm almost certain MTR would require it, and definitely LTR.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Yes, you need the lic 1st 

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

Here is a link:

https://planning.saccounty.gov/applicants/Pages/Short-Term-R...