Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Julia King
Votes |
How to tell new potential tenants other side of duplex is mid-term rentals?

Julia King
Posted

Hi, I am currently house hacking a duplex renting one unit tenants and living in the other. The tenant's are moving out this summer and I'll be looking for new tenants, however, I'd like to rent out my unit to mid-term tenants while I'm away traveling for months at a time. Any suggestions for how to relay this information to potential new tenants without scaring people off? Has anyone successfully done this before?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Julia King:

Hi, I am currently house hacking a duplex renting one unit tenants and living in the other. The tenant's are moving out this summer and I'll be looking for new tenants, however, I'd like to rent out my unit to mid-term tenants while I'm away traveling for months at a time. Any suggestions for how to relay this information to potential new tenants without scaring people off? Has anyone successfully done this before?

Why do you think it will "scare" them? Just be honest up front and they'll either accept it, or they won't. If you were renting it short-term and had different guests coming and going every few days, then long-term renters may be concerned. Having a different neighbor every few months is less of a concern.
  • Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied

@Julia King why is it necessary to explain? I don't think a tenant rents a unit based on the lease term of the neighbors. (Unless it's a STR causing problems each week). If they mention how nice it is that you're living next door, maybe just say, yes, but sometimes I rent it for a few months when I'm out of town. Otherwise, not sure it matters if you say anything.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied

I don't think it's a major issue as long as they are good respectful and clean MTR tenants. Honestly, I don't see why you would tell a prospective tenant it will be rented to MTR tenants unless they specifically ask. For STR as a neighbor, that would be a different story.

User Stats

Votes
Obed Calixte
  • Realtor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Replied

Shouldn't be an issue as posters above have shared. 

Something along the lines of "I live next door and from time to time may rent it out. If you have any questions about the property, the rental process or even where to eat - please let me know!"

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied
Quote from @Julia King:

Just state in your marketing or listing that the other side of the unit is rented out for midterm stays of 30 days or longer. Shouldn't be a problem.