Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Cleary
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Palm Beach County, FL
Votes |
Best way to respond in this situation

Ryan Cleary
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Palm Beach County, FL
Posted

Okay. Bit of a loaded one.

I have a duplex where one side is vacant, one side has had a tenant for 2 years. I am looking to vacate the house and prep for a 1031.

I previously had the property listed, got under contract just for this tenant to be the reason we didnt make it through the inspection period.

I have a good relationship with her but she is a mess, pays late every month (including her late fee, she is current), police visits, etc. 

I posted a 60 day notice to terminate the lease (the lease says 60...), the same day I receive a message from her boyfriend (I think) who I met once briefly but does not live at the property, saying that she is not living there, and that she cant be reached. He says "she is dealing with personal issues, her ex boyfriend tried breaking into the unit several times /sending her threats and shes not available".

I have replaced the locks for her and beefed up her security in the past. A bit strange, I thought about this a bit and I didn't know if this could be signs of a sketchy scenario or if it was none of my business (besides the non-existent damage to the doors/ windows). Kind of a hard line to draw. 

Anyways, I text him asking if I can see the apartment and show it to prospective renters. To which he politely says NO. 30 days would put us at June 30th, now he is asking if he can pay for partial of July.

I dont really know the best way to navigate this.

My thoughts:

-Im hoping whatever weird thing thats going on is not as bad as I think it could be

-I want them gone for the 1031/ ridding myself of this caliber property

-legally they can stay till the end of July

-possibly responding with "sorry we cant take partial payments"

-not sure if thats legal or would come back to haunt me if he ends up agreeing and now im dealing with the unknown for longer

EXP Realty  Logo

Loading replies...