Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin McKittrick
  • Broomfield, CO
Votes |
Outlets aren't grounded, does the landlord or tenant need to pay?

Kevin McKittrick
  • Broomfield, CO
Posted

We are moving to a rental property in Seattle next month and the lease is already signed. After signing we mentioned using a portable dishwasher and the PM said it wouldn't work because the outlets aren't grounded.  It is an old house, so we went back through our pictures and videos during the tour and found that the outlet covers are 3 prongs, but not actually grounded. We are worried about a potential fire or getting shocked. We requested the change and they said we would need to pay for the update. After coming back with a solution of taking it off our rent if we paid for it, they said they would pay half. After some research it seems that this property isn't up to code and presents some valid safety concerns. I am wondering if any experienced landlords or property managers in Seattle have ever come across this issue before? We want to be respectful of the landlord and the property management, so any advice on how to handle this would be great. We ultimately feel like this shouldn't be our financial burden.

Loading replies...