Tenant isn't ice snow from sidewalk other on wont answer phone

Tenant isn't ice snow from sidewalk other on wont answer phone

Flipper/Rehabber · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 189 posts · 84 votes

#1)I was at my property yesterday for some maintenance and I noticed the tenant did not clear the sidewalk or steps of ice like the lease says is their responsibility. She said they usually do it but "forgot" this time. I pointed out the part of the lease that outlines this to them and she said they will take care of it in the future. We had yet another ice storm today so my question is i how do I handle this if I go back over tomorrow and its still not cleared? I'm concerned because my city requires a landlord license that says it is ultimately my responsibility to maintain the sidewalks but I can't be driving there everytime it snows.

#2) my other tenant of the property I just purchased has a list of maintenance issues she would like addressed and most of them are legitimate concerns. My question here is she does not answer the phone or return my calls to schedule time to come make the repairs. What is the procedure in PA for entering the home for this purpose. The only thing I have been able to do is leave messages on the machine. I know she wants the repairs done but I want to make sure I'm doing things by the book.

Thank you

0Reply
6 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    You should get on Google and search for your county's landlord/tenant laws.

    Typically you just have to give at least 24hr notice that you're coming to the property. You're giving notice--not asking for permission. Does she really have to be there for you to see the problems she told you about?

    As for the lack of clearing the sidewalk, if she did not clear it again, you could tell her she's in breach of her lease. Look up your laws on breach of lease.

    Finally, I'm not sure what your title is supposed to say, but it seems like auto-correct took over or something.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    #1 Serve her a notice to comply. Make sure your lease says that if the tenant does not do it, then you will hire a service to do it at the tenant's expense. (We do that regarding lawn care.)

    #2 Serve her a notice to enter. Make sure you know the landlord-tenant laws applicable to the properties in which you invest. Know them better than the tenant and keep up on any legislative changes. Did she give you the list verbally by telephone, in person, by text, by email, by letter? Respond to her in the same manner. If she isn't returning the calls, consider she may not have gotten your messages. Try another route. Anything that is of immediate safety concern should be handled immediately; you should not delay. For the other maintenance issues, continue to make a good faith effort to contact her but if you can't you should still be able to enter the unit for maintenance reasons; follow the laws for your jurisdiction. We prefer tenants be present when we do maintenance work, but it is not always feasible.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.