Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mila F.
Votes |
We only approve fixed dogs/cats. Are we supposed to exempt ESAs from this rule?

Mila F.
Posted Dec 5 2023, 08:18

I have a young couple with a retriever puppy bombarding me with inquiries. I told them puppies and unfixed dogs would be a no-go for us. They said they don't plan on fixing the dog because they want to breed him (!!). Now they are saying they just registered the dog as ESA.  Obviously, ESA letter (if legitimate) gets them around the dog age, but what about spaying/neutering?  Is this legal of me to still require the ESA dog to be fixed?

User Stats

Votes
Lisa Hammond
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Newton, KS
Votes |
  • Newton, KS
Replied Dec 7 2023, 05:27
Quote from @Tim Miller:
Quote from @Lisa Hammond:
Quote from @Tim Miller:

@Mila F. @Matt Devincenzo Matt is 100% right, they went online to some website to get a fake letter. Because there is no such thing as "Registering" an ESA animal! I also second Matt suggestion, you should signup for petscreening.com and let them sort this out. 

I hate sites that won't give a price without going through Request A Demo. I've asked around and not only can I not get a price for petscreening.com I don't think we can "require" that tenants go through them? 

It doesn't cost the landlord, all fees are paid by the either the tenant or the prospective tenant. The cost is as low as $20 per pet profile. If the tenant has an actual "Service Dog (animal)" they pay nothing.

"I don't think we can "require" that tenants go through them? " Really people?! You are operating a business and you don't know what you can legally do or not do? Either get a property manager to take over, hire a lawyer or get an education.

It literally took me less than 5 minutes to search the KS Attorney General website for any law saying you can't do this. Guess what? There is no law that say you can't. Just for good measure, I called the Kansas legal service, pretended to be a tenant that was being discriminated against. I had an ESA letter and the LL refused it and said I had to use petscreening.com. Guess what? The landlord can do this.

I did contact our attorney yesterday and we can NOT require they go through petscreening.com in Kansas. We can ask them to do so but all they have to do is present the document to us, they do not have to use another service. 

User Stats

Votes
Mila F.
Votes |
Replied Dec 7 2023, 05:52
Quote from @Tim Miller:
Quote from @Tim Miller:

@Mila F. @Matt Devincenzo Matt is 100% right, they went online to some website to get a fake letter. Because there is no such thing as "Registering" an ESA animal! I also second Matt suggestion, you should signup for petscreening.com and let them sort this out. 

I hate sites that won't give a price without going through Request A Demo. I've asked around and not only can I not get a price for petscreening.com I don't think we can "require" that tenants go through them? 

It doesn't cost the landlord, all fees are paid by the either the tenant or the prospective tenant. The cost is as low as $20 per pet profile. If the tenant has an actual "Service Dog (animal)" they pay nothing.

"I don't think we can "require" that tenants go through them? " Really people?! You are operating a business and you don't know what you can legally do or not do? Either get a property manager to take over, hire a lawyer or get an education.

It literally took me less than 5 minutes to search the KS Attorney General website for any law saying you can't do this. Guess what? There is no law that say you can't. Just for good measure, I called the Kansas legal service, pretended to be a tenant that was being discriminated against. I had an ESA letter and the LL refused it and said I had to use petscreening.com. Guess what? The landlord can do this.

I did contact our attorney yesterday and we can NOT require they go through petscreening.com in Kansas. We can ask them to do so but all they have to do is present the document to us, they do not have to use another service. 

My understanding is that if you require ALL applicants to go through petscreening, regardless if they own any animals or not, then this becomes a part of your screening process like running a credit check. In this case ESA owners are not singled out and go through petscreening like all other applicants. 

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Lisa Hammond
  • Newton, KS
Votes |
  • Newton, KS
Replied Dec 7 2023, 05:54
Quote from @Mila F.:
Quote from @Tim Miller:
Quote from @Tim Miller:

My understanding is that if you require ALL applicants to go through petscreening, regardless if they own any animals or not, then this becomes a part of your screening process like running a credit check. In this case ESA owners are not singled out and go through petscreening like all other applicants. 

Interesting. I'll check with another attorney we use sometimes. 

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Dec 7 2023, 08:34

@Mila F.  you can however require an non-internet letter.   For petscreening.com  I recently had several people on here comment they do not provide this service for no pet properties. I am not sure if that is true.

I would concentrate on adverting the property so you can get more applications.  You may need to add an enticement to your ads for December,  refresh the ad. Why people get pets and then expect a rental  

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Dec 7 2023, 16:47

Young couple..... young wild puppy breed..... want to breed and have even more young crazy puppies all over your unit.... sounds great....lets do that... the pet deposit is 15k. :)

Deny but dont cite a specific reason.... you have selected another candidate. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 8 2023, 05:18
Quote from @Mila F.:

I have a young couple with a retriever puppy bombarding me with inquiries. I told them puppies and unfixed dogs would be a no-go for us. They said they don't plan on fixing the dog because they want to breed him (!!). Now they are saying they just registered the dog as ESA.  Obviously, ESA letter (if legitimate) gets them around the dog age, but what about spaying/neutering?  Is this legal of me to still require the ESA dog to be fixed?

Stop all communication with them, block their number, and move on. They have not proven it is an ESA and they are probably fraudulent because there is no such thing as a "registration" for an ESA. They are prescribed by a medical provider.

It would be wise to educate yourself on ESAs before you get taken advantage of. Here's the latest HUD guidance: https://www.hud.gov/sites/dfiles/PA/documents/HUDAsstAnimalN...

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mila F.
Votes |
Replied Dec 9 2023, 05:28
Quote from @Colleen F.:

@Mila F.  you can however require an non-internet letter.   For petscreening.com  I recently had several people on here comment they do not provide this service for no pet properties. I am not sure if that is true.

I would concentrate on adverting the property so you can get more applications.  You may need to add an enticement to your ads for December,  refresh the ad. Why people get pets and then expect a rental  

Regarding petscreening for no-pet properties - I can't comment, since all my rentals are animal-friendly (for extra fee and rent).  In my case, as I described earlier, everyone has to register with petscreening, pet owners or not.