Investing in Bad (D+) Neighborhoods?

Investing in Bad (D+) Neighborhoods?

Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 9 votes

I have a deal where the numbers are good (11-12% cash on cash) but it is in a rough neighborhood of Philly. I am confident in my screening abilities, but still concerned about the tenants and neighborhoods of this area. Does anyone have advice for investing in rough areas? Should I stay away?

To add, I have been looking all year for properties in better neighborhoods, but with the rates and prices, the numbers don't work in my area.

2Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y

It's usually a terrible idea. High maintenance, high vacancy. Looks good good on paper but the reality is often a great way to lose money.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I have a daughter who lives in Philadelphia and not in Rittenhouse Square. 

    Block by block it varies. Go lookup tranq and Kensington. 

    You need security and you will be replacing it as it gets stolen. Where are you getting your market rent numbers from? Can be done if you live nearby. What is your personal background? Go there at night and see how you feel. 

    Tenants: working class, punk musicians, artists, some college areas but these tenants need more personal attention and cash rents. "Screening abilities" would not be on my top ten bullet points needed to be successful. 

  • Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Caroline Gerardo:

    I have a daughter who lives in Philadelphia and not in Rittenhouse Square. 

    Block by block it varies. Go lookup tranq and Kensington. 

    You need security and you will be replacing it as it gets stolen. Where are you getting your market rent numbers from? Can be done if you live nearby. What is your personal background? Go there at night and see how you feel. 

    Tenants: working class, punk musicians, artists, some college areas but these tenants need more personal attention and cash rents. "Screening abilities" would not be on my top ten bullet points needed to be successful. 

     I get my numbers by researching the area, and looking at what is currently on market. I looked at the property at night, and it is not great, but the house is secure (double doored, and barred windows). I currently have one SF rental, but in a better neighborhood. 

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    It's usually a terrible idea. High maintenance, high vacancy. Looks good good on paper but the reality is often a great way to lose money.

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Brian Caulfield Are you close enough to the property that you can be there at a moments notice? I’ve heard managing a D class property is a full time job. Not very passive at all. I’m a long distance investor and won’t touch them for that reason.

  • Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    @Brian Caulfield Are you close enough to the property that you can be there at a moments notice? I’ve heard managing a D class property is a full time job. Not very passive at all. I’m a long distance investor and won’t touch them for that reason.

    I’m about 40 min away, but the house was fully renovated in 2020, so I’m hoping that will keep at least keep maintenance relatively low. 
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2023 · 81 posts · 40 votes
    2y

    Hi @Brian Caulfield I don't think investing in rougher areas is a bad idea as long as you are aware of the risks and make sure you plan ahead for when problems arise. If you're worried about the tenants and what they could do to the property, maybe consider Section 8. You still get to choose your tenant and having them go through your screening process but since they are apart of Housing Choice Voucher (HVC) they have have to meet certain expectations and responsibilities in order to be and stay in the program and most people don't want to lose their voucher. Plus it's guaranteed rent from the city.

  • Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Monica Williams:

    Hi @Brian Caulfield I don't think investing in rougher areas is a bad idea as long as you are aware of the risks and make sure you plan ahead for when problems arise. If you're worried about the tenants and what they could do to the property, maybe consider Section 8. You still get to choose your tenant and having them go through your screening process but since they are apart of Housing Choice Voucher (HVC) they have have to meet certain expectations and responsibilities in order to be and stay in the program and most people don't want to lose their voucher. Plus it's guaranteed rent from the city.


     Can you expand a little on the expectations and responsibilities?

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2023 · 81 posts · 40 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brian Caulfield:
    Quote from @Monica Williams:

    Hi @Brian Caulfield I don't think investing in rougher areas is a bad idea as long as you are aware of the risks and make sure you plan ahead for when problems arise. If you're worried about the tenants and what they could do to the property, maybe consider Section 8. You still get to choose your tenant and having them go through your screening process but since they are apart of Housing Choice Voucher (HVC) they have have to meet certain expectations and responsibilities in order to be and stay in the program and most people don't want to lose their voucher. Plus it's guaranteed rent from the city.


     Can you expand a little on the expectations and responsibilities?


    Here is the HCV website, it explains what you need to do to become a HVC landlord, what the tenants needs, the expectations and responsibilities and more. 

    https://www.pha.phila.gov/housing/housing-choice-voucher/

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Brian Caulfield, a neighborhood being D+ doesn't mean all properties are D class. In many cases maybe only 20% of the properties are D class but that brings the neighborhood down.

    So, if your property is C class or better you will still likely be able to attract a qualified tenant but since you are confident in your tenant screening, I think you will be ok.

    My concerns would be how long it will take to get that tenant and how long they will stay (turnover/vacancy) because it isn't a desirable area. So, I would try to add any small amenity I could to give a better value to that tenant to keep them longer. Could be including a washer/dryer or allowing small pets. Anything that additionally sets you apart to reduce that turnover/vacancy.

  • South Holland, IL · Member since 2017 · 374 posts · 432 votes
    2y

    @Brian Caulfield

    I have 22 years experience in such areas and you can be successful as long as:

    A) You self manage. It’s very hands on

    B)You buy on the better blocks in that area

    C)You remodel the units to modern standards

    D)You select the best Sec 8 tenant in the pool. They will stay longer because of the remodel and your rent payments are guaranteed.

    This has worked well for me but I’d only recommend if you CANT afford to invest in better areas.

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 591 posts · 695 votes
    2y

    @Brian Caulfield personally, I won't invest in anything less than a C+ grade area, regardless of the return (and I'd even be very skeptical of a C+ ...most of my portfolio is comprised of B and A's).

    You could offer me the best CoC return ever on a D property, and I'd still pass. Why? My time, energy and skills are way too valuable to waste on the headaches of D grade properties. Moreover, the damage a D grade property would do to my overall business (sucking up time, energy and resources) would completely offset any "excellent" CoC return...and it DEFINITELY wouldn't be worth it for a 10-11% CoC return.

    If you're a beginner, read up on all the horror stories on the forums of inexperienced investors chasing "excellent" CoC returns and cashflow in D areas --the story is always the same: they wanted cashflow, they bought in a D area, and within months they have non-paying tenants, a trashed property, an MIA property manager (who understandably will not put in the massive effort required to correctly manage a D property for the minimal money the property produces), and a world of pain. ...save yourself the headache, and start off house hacking in a B or better area.

    Good luck out there!

  • Samuel CoronadoPro Member
    Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2016 · 334 posts · 181 votes
    2y

    I've found some success here. Here are a couple of my findings:

    Vetting is different. Throw credit scores out the window and look at "credit stories" to determine the right candidate. Medical reasons are the number one reason for bankruptcy in the US. Paying attention not just to the what, but the why. 

    Do shorter terms. I don't go above bi-weekly. Not semi-monthly or monthly. I go only weekly or at most bi-weekly. This helps people budget better and gives me more touchpoints because I collect in person in cash. This lets me identify problems early on in regards to broke down cars, etc. I've also dealt with programs with people who are coming out of great rehabs. Two of the guys wound up staying for years after and they're doing amazing. I am proud of them, but not all of it is a success story for everyone. I keep things week to week with no obligation to them beyond what they are paying ahead for that week.

    I offer incentives. Many of these people don't have the best credit for whatever reason. If they want, I put them in a program called Boost that increases their credit score every time they pay rent. This helps the people who struggle to even get prepaid credit cards. 

    Be aware of other programs, how they work, criteria, etc. Food banks, rental assistance, etc. 

  • Sergio P RamosPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Humble Tx · Member since 2020 · 53 posts · 19 votes
    2y

    @Brian Caulfield What about turning it into Gov/state housing. Timely payments. Any vacancies/loss can help offset gains/profit. Willing to do alot of maintenance yourself?

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 618 posts · 430 votes
    2y

    If it were me it would matter the specific block in the neighborhood and if I wanted to deal with the potential headache to make the ‘extra’ money. 

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    Don't forget the 3 Golden Rules of real estate investing: Location, location, location! 

    We had 8 units in a rough part of Denver for awhile. Cashflow was better on paper, looked much better in the spreadsheet. In reality our properties in better locations have provided much better overall returns, with so much less difficulty. Sold those ones and never again for me! 

    There's money to be made in these locations for sure, but only by investors with the right resources and skills/desire to deal with the challenges. Everyone has got to start somewhere, but if you can afford to buy in a better location I'd recommend that instead. Even if the analysis doesn't pencil out exactly the way you've set your criteria, I'd wager your projected cashflow is probably optimistic anyway and you'll actually do better in a better location. 

    I don't even use a spreadsheet to analyze anything anymore, I buy strictly on location (and price compared to surrounding properties). I'd recommend buying the worst house in the best location you can afford, and fixing that property up to the median. This way you'll capture initial equity through the value-add, and being in a better location will set you up better for success over time IMO. Rents will increase faster, appreciation will be greater, and actual cashflow will probably be better also, especially over time. Turnover/churn, expenses and headaches will be less.

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brian Caulfield:

    I have a deal where the numbers are good (11-12% cash on cash) but it is in a rough neighborhood of Philly. I am confident in my screening abilities, but still concerned about the tenants and neighborhoods of this area. Does anyone have advice for investing in rough areas? Should I stay away?

    To add, I have been looking all year for properties in better neighborhoods, but with the rates and prices, the numbers don't work in my area.



    I don't know much about Philly, but if it's like most big cities then you have to evaluate it block by block.  There are also several neighborhoods that we purchased in years ago that were "rough" and now the locations are unaffordable for many people because of gentrification.  So here's what I would do:

    1. See if you find some crime stats in and around the block you'd be purchasing on. The neighborhood may be bad but the property may be on a great block.

    2. If you decide to purchase;  to protect your asset overinvest in security. 

    3. While the area may be what you call D class- improving your property so it feels like B could reduce turnover. 

    4. I'd also examine if there is any investor activity (large or small in new developments in any neighborhoods adjacent to where you are considering purchasing. 

    Bottom line- People need affordable housing and you need to make money. Only pull the trigger if you feel confident that you have a plan to protect your asset. 
  • Real Estate Agent · 901 Market st Suite 3065 Philadelphia, PA 19107 · Member since 2021 · 71 posts · 37 votes
    2y

    Brian, Mirroring what everyone is saying - Philly is hyper-local. 

    Get set up with a LOCAL agent who can guide you through the city. I would also recommend a property manager who is familiar with low-income and section 8 tenants. A great PM can take all the headaches out of landlording.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    If you can plan to be at the property at least once a week - go for it.

    Otherwise, pass as you will just lose money.

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Yeah, not worth it. 

    Even if it was 190% cash on cash

    You'll spend more time chasing rents, doing repairs, and praying to not go there AGAIN...

    Plus your safety is far more important than returns


    Location, location, location.

    Your D class property will barely appreciate. It will be the first thing to tank in value during a recession. 

    Get smaller returns or break even and buy in a solid area. You'll thank yourself in 10 years when your 400k duplex appreciates to 600k. 

    Feel free to reach out anytime!

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.