I am new the forum but have used BP for years. I currently own around 30 rentals, all free and clear, in the Houston area. In the past year and a half, I have grown increasingly tired of the in and outs of land lording and am having a harder and harder time dealing with tenants and finding decent labor. I had an investment group reach out to me and over the past few months we have gone back and forth regarding a potential owner finance deal for my 30 unit package. The group has the 10% down I am asking, is willing to pay 9.99% fixed IR and pay 90% of the appraised values per home. I am highly tempted to explore this deal as it would allow me to have a solid monthly income, remove me from the ‘game’ and the internet seems very attractive.
I have already spoken to an attorney who will draft the contract, note etc. and serve as the trustee.
Is there any downside to this type of a deal for a seller? I am 42 and am at the point where I am really losing interest in the business.Thanks!
Why? Don't you want to leave a legacy for your family or someone else you care about?
I'm always shocked when I hear these types of stories- why haven't you partnered with a property manager and let them deal with all of your headaches and tenant calls so you can sail off in to the sunset with all of your tax free income?
If you have 30 SFH, all free and clear, and your average rents are $1000, which I assume is quite low- you could pay a PM 9% and still put away 25% for capex, repairs, etc and have $20k of income per month without lifting a finger OR selling off your assets.
Honestly- you've got a set up here that is what almost everyone on these boards is dreaming of, why not move to South America or Mexico and let your PM handle everything? What's the benefit of selling that you don't get by holding? If you sell, you don't have the assets, you'll be paying income taxes and cap gains to some extent, and you won't own the assets any more. I mean- $20k per month at a minimum is enough to live on and have a pretty good, stress free life isn't it?
Why? Don't you want to leave a legacy for your family or someone else you care about?
I'm always shocked when I hear these types of stories- why haven't you partnered with a property manager and let them deal with all of your headaches and tenant calls so you can sail off in to the sunset with all of your tax free income?
If you have 30 SFH, all free and clear, and your average rents are $1000, which I assume is quite low- you could pay a PM 9% and still put away 25% for capex, repairs, etc and have $20k of income per month without lifting a finger OR selling off your assets.
Honestly- you've got a set up here that is what almost everyone on these boards is dreaming of, why not move to South America or Mexico and let your PM handle everything? What's the benefit of selling that you don't get by holding? If you sell, you don't have the assets, you'll be paying income taxes and cap gains to some extent, and you won't own the assets any more. I mean- $20k per month at a minimum is enough to live on and have a pretty good, stress free life isn't it?
@James Landsford
In today’s environment I would want 10% down
What if this group completely mismanages them, values drop and they are in disrepair and hand you the keys back?
This happened to someone (we bought it from them) where the seller financed $500k of assets, the buyer never paid taxes, collected rent and stopped paying lender. Two years later they had $100k in taxes owed and units were trash. We bought three buildings for under $100k + paid taxes. End of day seller financing person basically got nothing
Just sharing some of the risks.
With half as many rentals as you I use a PM. I clear $200k/yr and work less than 2 hours a month. If you truly can’t see working 4 hours a month to make hundreds of thousands per year, hir an assistant, or pay the PM a little extra to do everything
Maybe it turns out 1-5 of them are all the hassle? Sell them for 100% of their value instead of 90% and keep the easy ones. Even if you only have $100k gain on each you are literally creating a tax liability of nearly 1/2 a million dollars out of thin air?
Anyway, it’s your money but 1) I wouldn’t sell, 2) I wouldn’t give 10% off, 3) I would want more than 10% down, that won’t even cover recovery costs if they stop paying
Good luck.
You deserve more...the Houston market is still realizing year-over-year rent appreciation and is forecasted to continue to do so into 2024 (Source: AAOA). CBRE predicts cap rates of 6 to 6.2 in 2024. MF Supply to Demand Ratio is good in Houston whereas the supply exceeds demand in most other markets nationally. While you're over dealing with the chaos of tenants and labor (totally get it), the fact remains that you built an empire that has significant value. To sell at 90% of appraised value in your market while providing financing with 10% down - is not the right play for building and preserving wealth. "Investment Groups" are not created equally and one that is interested in a 30 unit package should be prepared to pay valuation and obtain their own financing. MF foreclosures in Texas are on the rise and there are plenty of lessons to be learned from the foreclosure of 3200 units in Houston from one investment group. (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/lessons-learned-from-houston-...)
As a former wealth banking executive, real estate investor, and broker, I hope you'll pass on that deal. List the offering at appraised value with no offer of seller financing on a MF/Commercial platform like AAOA, LoopNet, others. Get every dime your empire is worth and solve an even bigger problem: how to reinvest the proceeds for build and preserve wealth. There are a lot of opportunities for doing that within the real estate segment without having to actually own the dirt and deal with tenants that are worth exploring.
Congrats on what you've achieved...it's a big deal. Time to get the ROI you deserve. Best...
is only cheating yourself while taking on a risk that is greater than that of tenants: the lender.
No sense in selling all them and for below market price. You can easily hire a PM for all that at probably about 5-6% of the rent and live the same life you have now. You are in an amazing position, why give it up!?
I agree with some of the others here. If you don't like being a landlord, why not look into hiring a PM for some of the 'problematic' places? You can also see who they hire to fix things and use them for your other places. Or sell off some of the places that aren't doing as well.
I think offering you 90% of market value for 30 properties is a steal for the investors. That is basically giving them 3 of your properties for free. If you sell, list on the open market and talk to the listing agent to see if they will cut you a deal if you list a couple of places with them. I know some agents give a reduced commission if you sell your home and buy a new one with them.
There are many reasons why you should not sell, but if you really want to sell, then sell them retail one by one. What's ten percent discount? Half a million? A million?
Two options: list them as they become vacant. Treat them like a flip. If you have several, pick two agents and see after a few deals who works better. The issue are taxes and where to invest the proceeds. If you like the tax situation with seller financing, you can offer them to your tenants. I have done a few lease with option to purchase, that can be a win-win. But you are still on the hook for collecting a monthly payment and potential forclosure. Benefit of bank financing, they have to deal with that.
I did this for the same reasons with 19 last year, but 3 separate buyers case by case vs blanket % of appraised value.
I'd explore a ratio to assessed value. Here 120% gets pretty close. The cost of 30 appraisals will be a bear.
Vet your buyer and use a contract servicer.
I sold with a hybrid land contract that offers more seller protection than a note and d of t. How will you convey?
I am new the forum but have used BP for years. I currently own around 30 rentals, all free and clear, in the Houston area. In the past year and a half, I have grown increasingly tired of the in and outs of land lording and am having a harder and harder time dealing with tenants and finding decent labor. I had an investment group reach out to me and over the past few months we have gone back and forth regarding a potential owner finance deal for my 30 unit package. The group has the 10% down I am asking, is willing to pay 9.99% fixed IR and pay 90% of the appraised values per home. I am highly tempted to explore this deal as it would allow me to have a solid monthly income, remove me from the ‘game’ and the internet seems very attractive.
I have already spoken to an attorney who will draft the contract, note etc. and serve as the trustee.
Is there any downside to this type of a deal for a seller? I am 42 and am at the point where I am really losing interest in the business.Thanks!
when you owner finance you basically set yourself up an annuity and when it's over, you may have nothing left to show for. of all my mentors, i would say the common denominator of things they wish they did, was keep more of the houses they had rather than sell them.
We're about the same age, i'd like to have a conversation if care for it.
@james landsford
I still don't understand this "push" to sellers for seller finance.. Since when did a landlord become an underwriter? Why would one extend credit to somebody you don't know, presumably, and when one has no reasonable expectation of knowledge or experience of lending money/credit?
Yeah... the "experiened" investors always sell me on 'you have full aavilaibiliy of the law to foreclose.' By, why?? Why would you want it back? Why would you want to go through the headache? Why would you want to have to fix up and/or possibly evict any in the properties? Especialy when you have 30 of them--- sounds like individual units.
Honestly, this is where diversification comes into play. Maybe.. lending is one form of diversification.. But, so is just straight selling and taking your money elsewhere. While getting this sort of "annuity-like" payment is good, but so is having your entire pot of cash available to you as well.
Not sure how you are calculating 9.99% IR nor for how long, but you can get 10% yields, some tax advantaged, elsewhere nowadays.
I, in general, don't like the deal. Certainyl, there could be more details/assurances in the details. But for 10%... I still wonder "why?" Why can't they get their own financing elsewhere? Same as with newbies: if they can't afford to get financing they shouldn't be doing "creative" deals since it indicates they can't afford it / have the reserves. Sure, yours is a different deal / situation.
Good luck.
Just hire a PMC.
You will of course, need to hire a good one and spend 10 hours/month managing them.
As an investor with rental properties in several states and having been living in Houston Metro for almost three decades, I can understand the OP's frustration.
Comparing with other markets, Houston really is not a good rental market. And the only property that I want to get rid of is the one in Houston. High property tax, high maintenance costs due to weather (AC running almost full year, hot and high humidity), high vacancy rate, high PM fees( first month rent as commission is a must, while other markets do not have first month commission at all), all makes Houston is a so-so market for rental business.
Having said that, if that were me, I probably will get rid of half of bad ones and have a PM managing the rest of the half.
@James Landsford everyone seems to be giving similar advice which I agree with. I'm sending you a PM if you need another Houston contact.
@James Landsford I would agree with what everyone else is saying. We own and manage many properties in the Houston area as well. Let us know what you decide to do and if you need any assistance don't hesitate to reach out! Best of luck.
Man, I wish I had your problems!
Short answer: No
I've sold a few of my smaller deals recently. I've been happy to seller finance them. I get a higher rate than I would with that cash in the bank. And I have little to no risk as if they don't pay, I just take back the asset I'm already comfortable with (and keep the down payment)
In fact, last week I bought a large deal from a guy who has owned it for 20 years. I was going to pay cash, then refinance later. I asked him what he was going to do with the proceeds and he was going to buy 10 year treasuries. So I suggested I could pay him a point more than a 10 year and he could seller finance. His income would be the same and he was able to keep almost $1m in his pocket.
With rates where they are, seller financing (or doing wraps, assumptions, subto, etc) is going to become more and more common.
I am confused @James Landsford.
Help me understand. Your entertaining selling an existing, performing portfolio, turn-key. With seller financing, at only about 1pt over market rate. And willing to accept the basement minimum of 10% down AND, on top of it all, sell them at a 10% DISCOUNT! Not a Premium.... a discount????
So in a world where lenders want a minimum 20%+ down, is there not a $-value in accepting 10% down?
Is there not value in fact it's a turn-key operation long established where a buyer get's to base things on factual accounting not on projections, hence removal of risk?
And with financing of such via standard outlet's is there not assorted additional fee's connected to financing, generally ranging 2-3% in additional expense possibly wrapped into financing? Your not charging that, where is value consideration for that?
And fact of giving away all these valuable considerations free of charge, and than to also DISCOUNT the properties, wow, wow-wow-wow.
So, I am left with 1 last question James; where do I send the check and how soon can we close? You think I'm joking, try-me. Because this is a no-brainer deal of the season.
You should be charging, at minimum, a PREMIUM not a discount for: seller financing terms, 10% down vs 20%+, turn-key.
It's just confusing. Your in a position where not only as some have mentioned of hiring a PMc, you could also hire in a GM to literally run everything to reduce your involvement to a 1-2hr meeting quarterly. Or retain Portfolio Services with Portfolio Manager effecting the same. You have so many options open, I just don't understand handing it away in a manner that is robbing yourself of valuable considerations.
But hey, as said try-me, I'm just as happy to accept a no-brainer of a deal. And how about I add a "Thank You" steak dinner for 2, monthly thorough term of it? I joke, but I am also very serious. Unless there is some real nasty factors your not disclosing or in denial of, this is a deal I'd buy. Generally takes a lot to get me to book a "red-eye" and fast track due-diligence, this very possibly would do it.