I manage a residential single family property for an owner. Last week a very large tree fell on the home causing significant damage to the structure and forcing the tenant to be relocated temporarily while the insurance claim is processed an the property is restored. As a manager, I have spent many additional hours coordinating things like tree removal, mitigation, restoration, and coordinating with insurance adjusters. My property management agreement doesn't currently include any provision about disaster management and compensation for additional time and resources dedicated to resolving large problems like this.
My questions:
Is management of disasters something billable to insurance companies as a part of a claim?
Do other property managers have recommendations on provisions that can be included within a management agreement to ensure disaster / major unplanned occurrence that consume time and resources are billable? If so, what is a typical fee or fee structure?
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
I agree with the others. We charge 10% of the insurance claim as a maintenance supervision fee. It covers coordinating with the adjuster and contractors, supervising work, approving the final job, sending invoices and evidence to the insurer, etc.
Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
@Greg Virgin We are in Florida and learned early on that you need to have something in your mngt agreement to take care of paying you for your efforts beyond just managing and leasing the property.
I have seen anywhere between 10-20% oversight fee, and yes, you can put in an invoice to the adjuster to pay you.
Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Aloha,
Yes, it is fairly common to include a clause for major projects or other significant time-sucks such as Court related time, after hours Emergency services (major fire/flood), or even excessive hand-holding (limiting interactions/prolonged meetings with Owners for routine issues). The charge can be hourly or based on percentage of the project cost.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
I agree with the others. We charge 10% of the insurance claim as a maintenance supervision fee. It covers coordinating with the adjuster and contractors, supervising work, approving the final job, sending invoices and evidence to the insurer, etc.
Thank you all for the responses and time. The information is very helpful and I will be sure to add a provision in my management agreement. I am planning to invoice the insurance company for my time for this matter to see if they will reimburse.
Thank you all for the responses and time. The information is very helpful and I will be sure to add a provision in my management agreement. I am planning to invoice the insurance company for my time for this matter to see if they will reimburse.
Have a great Thursday!
GV
Update: I just spoke with the insurance adjuster who is with USAA. He said that he has never reimbursed a property manager for their time. Has anyone received reimbursement from the insurance company or are you paid from your client/owner?
Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
absolutely!! Most (i’m sure not all) have a clause in their mngt agreement for things that go beyond the day to day mngt of the property, and charge a % of the job
During hurricanes or other floods etc…. the insurance companies have never had a problem reimbursing us