Can repair people enter without either landlord or tenant present?

Can repair people enter without either landlord or tenant present?

Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes

In Florida, is it legal for the AC company to enter and perform a system replacement without us (landlords) or tenants present, if we provide access via a neighbor who has a key? 

We are out of state and have a very difficult tenant who plays games about access times then complains if the repairs take longer. She usually ends up agreeing to a vendor access time, but she has now stopped replying to my scheduling notices. I already know her not allowing access is a lease violation, but I still need repairs made. 

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
3y
Quote from @Jessica Young:

In Florida, is it legal for the AC company to enter and perform a system replacement without us (landlords) or tenants present, if we provide access via a neighbor who has a key? 

We are out of state and have a very difficult tenant who plays games about access times then complains if the repairs take longer. She usually ends up agreeing to a vendor access time, but she has now stopped replying to my scheduling notices. I already know her not allowing access is a lease violation, but I still need repairs made. 


 What does your lease say? If the tenant hasn't given permission and you haven't provided the notice required notice according to the lease I wouldn't allow access. However if you have provided the required notice you should be fine. 

However why does a neighbor have the key? Without knowing the neighbor and your relationship to them this could open up some unique liability. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jessica Young:

    In Florida, is it legal for the AC company to enter and perform a system replacement without us (landlords) or tenants present, if we provide access via a neighbor who has a key? 

    We are out of state and have a very difficult tenant who plays games about access times then complains if the repairs take longer. She usually ends up agreeing to a vendor access time, but she has now stopped replying to my scheduling notices. I already know her not allowing access is a lease violation, but I still need repairs made. 


     What does your lease say? If the tenant hasn't given permission and you haven't provided the notice required notice according to the lease I wouldn't allow access. However if you have provided the required notice you should be fine. 

    However why does a neighbor have the key? Without knowing the neighbor and your relationship to them this could open up some unique liability. 

  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Davidson:
    Quote from @Jessica Young:

    In Florida, is it legal for the AC company to enter and perform a system replacement without us (landlords) or tenants present, if we provide access via a neighbor who has a key? 

    We are out of state and have a very difficult tenant who plays games about access times then complains if the repairs take longer. She usually ends up agreeing to a vendor access time, but she has now stopped replying to my scheduling notices. I already know her not allowing access is a lease violation, but I still need repairs made. 


     What does your lease say? If the tenant hasn't given permission and you haven't provided the notice required notice according to the lease I wouldn't allow access. However if you have provided the required notice you should be fine. 

    However why does a neighbor have the key? Without knowing the neighbor and your relationship to them this could open up some unique liability. 

    We live out of state and wanted someone else to have a key for emergencies. The tenant had a tantrum yesterday and has stopped communicating so I'm not sure how to proceed. 
  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jessica Young:
    Quote from @Chris Davidson:
    Quote from @Jessica Young:

    In Florida, is it legal for the AC company to enter and perform a system replacement without us (landlords) or tenants present, if we provide access via a neighbor who has a key? 

    We are out of state and have a very difficult tenant who plays games about access times then complains if the repairs take longer. She usually ends up agreeing to a vendor access time, but she has now stopped replying to my scheduling notices. I already know her not allowing access is a lease violation, but I still need repairs made. 


     What does your lease say? If the tenant hasn't given permission and you haven't provided the notice required notice according to the lease I wouldn't allow access. However if you have provided the required notice you should be fine. 

    However why does a neighbor have the key? Without knowing the neighbor and your relationship to them this could open up some unique liability. 

    We live out of state and wanted someone else to have a key for emergencies. The tenant had a tantrum yesterday and has stopped communicating so I'm not sure how to proceed. 

     Follow your lease. That is what both parties have agreed to and what you legally can do. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · IL · Member since 2021 · 100 posts · 49 votes
    3y

    All depends on what your lease states as well as if you gave the required notice accordingly. With my properties, when a maintenance request arises, the property manager will figure out a time that works with the tenant to do the repair, the tenant will then confirm. Usually we give 48hr notice, the lease states 24, but it never hurts to give extra notice. I would talk to the tenant and just tell him or her to give you a time of the week and time window that works, I do this via email so you can have it in writing. If you have the permission, and the required notice as the lease states, you should be alright.

    I would be cautious about the neighbor having a key... like @Chris Davidson said...the only people that should have a key is yourself and or property manager, unless maybe your neighbor is your parter etc...

  • Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2017 · 304 posts · 347 votes
    3y

    Um, a sturdy lockbox might be a good consideration?  You can get them with ability to change the code remotely so you can maintain security. I agree with what has been said already - follow your lease, email to keep things in writing. 

    Just an FYI, my long term rentals are in A class neighborhoods so my tenants want necessary repairs and I simply ask if I can give their info to the contractor/scheduler (plumber, HVAC, etc). Then, they schedule the time that works for them.   Also, if you don't have a PM, you really should being out of state. 

  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    I did what you describe but she plays games with contractors and won't schedule times, tries to give them direction and requests, and make decisions as though she's paying for their service. She even called the AC company and they gave her the full reports of service as though she was the owner. These are nightmare tenants with constant demands and difficult, angry, frequent communication. I've posted in relation to them 3 other times in this forum. I wish I had a PM but their lease expires in 4 months. After this experience, PM all the way. I wasn't cut out to be emotionally tough enough for this, I admit. 
  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Update: apparently I misunderstood and there is no key with neighbors. I thought my husband left one with our realtor/neighbor as a representative of us as property managers. I hope I don't have to fly there but it is what it is. 

    What to do when tenants stop communicating altogether? I have a full time job and children, mind you. And, a new found respect for landlords! :)

  • Real Estate Consultant · Brandon, FL · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 27 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jessica Young:

    Update: apparently I misunderstood and there is no key with neighbors. I thought my husband left one with our realtor/neighbor as a representative of us as property managers. I hope I don't have to fly there but it is what it is. 

    What to do when tenants stop communicating altogether? I have a full time job and children, mind you. And, a new found respect for landlords! :)

    I agree with all that have shared their thoughts, I would highly recommend getting with a reputable property manager that can handle this for you. Be aware, tenants do take advantage when there is an absentee owner. 
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jessica Young:
    Quote from @Chris Davidson:
    Quote from @Jessica Young:

    In Florida, is it legal for the AC company to enter and perform a system replacement without us (landlords) or tenants present, if we provide access via a neighbor who has a key? 

    We are out of state and have a very difficult tenant who plays games about access times then complains if the repairs take longer. She usually ends up agreeing to a vendor access time, but she has now stopped replying to my scheduling notices. I already know her not allowing access is a lease violation, but I still need repairs made. 


     What does your lease say? If the tenant hasn't given permission and you haven't provided the notice required notice according to the lease I wouldn't allow access. However if you have provided the required notice you should be fine. 

    However why does a neighbor have the key? Without knowing the neighbor and your relationship to them this could open up some unique liability. 

    We live out of state and wanted someone else to have a key for emergencies. The tenant had a tantrum yesterday and has stopped communicating so I'm not sure how to proceed. 

    I know how I would proceed.  I would inform her of lease violation and give her the mandatory notice period.  

    she either abides by the lease or she vacates.  Simple.  Do not make this complex.  

    You are the LL.  Tenant does not create the policies regarding your property.  

    I believe you would benefit by having a property manager, ideally one with backbone. 

    good luck

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha,

    It is never a good idea to let anyone, including yourself, or neighbor, have access to an occupied unit without Tenant or THEIR representative there. Anything goes missing, YOU are on the hook, and your vendor will get all the blame, even if nothing is actually missing. Do not put yourself in that position. The ONLY exceptions would be actual flames or visible smoke; water running out the front door; a body visible on the floor; or in the case of a MF building, work that spans across multiple units and/or floors that are essentially controlled by the contractor directly.

    Vendors need to be informed they are to schedule direct with the Tenant, for a specific job. Any additional requests by Tenant, or deemed necessary by the vendor must have your approval before proceeding. Tenants also need to be trained to submit ALL requests to you via email only; and they need to understand they will be responsible for any additional work NOT approved by you.

    You should have a clause that will hold the Tenant responsible for additional costs incurred due to their actions or lack thereof; also the "Happy Clause" which I would be offering up right now. Let them out of the Agreement without penalty, paying prorated rent only for every day of occupancy up until keys are returned, with all personal property and rubbish removed...since obviously they are not "happy" with the premises and the reality of dealing with occasional repair coordination.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.