New yapping dog is disturbing duplex neighbor - What do I do?

New yapping dog is disturbing duplex neighbor - What do I do?

Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 8 votes

I own a duplex in California. I have two good, steady, paying families as tenants. 

Tenant A has been there for many years and has three pets that do not cause problems. 

Tenant B just acquired a dog yesterday, and informed me today. Apparently the dog has been barking since it came home - all night, and all day. Tenant A isn't pleased. I do allow pets (except certain breeds) and charge monthly pet rent. 

I let tenant B know that the dog has already been reported for barking too much and asked if they think the dog will calm down in a few days. I understand that they probably don't have much control over the dog barking. Do I need to set a reasonable time limit for it to adjust and calm down? What would you do?

1Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    4y

    Wow, Would you like to spend a night in either place?

    Thinking jail might be  more calm!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Carrie Purkeypile:

    I own a duplex in California. I have two good, steady, paying families as tenants. 

    Tenant A has been there for many years and has three pets that do not cause problems. 

    Tenant B just acquired a dog yesterday, and informed me today. Apparently the dog has been barking since it came home - all night, and all day. Tenant A isn't pleased. I do allow pets (except certain breeds) and charge monthly pet rent. 

    I let tenant B know that the dog has already been reported for barking too much and asked if they think the dog will calm down in a few days. I understand that they probably don't have much control over the dog barking. Do I need to set a reasonable time limit for it to adjust and calm down? What would you do?

    Require them to remove the dog from the rental when they are not there to monitor it, or put on a bark collar. I would put this in a written warning and give them 72 hours to rectify the situation. If there's another complaint, I would require them to remove the animal or face termination.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    I'd give the dog a few days and if it doesn't stop, then they need to do something (eg find it a new home).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.