Keep or sell condo? How do I get my next home?

Keep or sell condo? How do I get my next home?

Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello all, first post here. Looking for advice with future home plans. I have a condo on the Eastside of Seattle that I've owned for several years now. I'm looking to move into a single family home, also on the Eastside of Seattle, which as some may know, is a very competitive area (HCOL). I recently started learning more about real estate and am interested in keeping my condo as a rental in the future. However, I do not have a good idea as to how one would analyze the numbers in order to find out if it's a worthwhile endeavor. I've heard some investors use CAP rate to analyze/compare whether or not a potential property is worthy. Is that what should be used here?

Also in need of consideration, in order to get a decent down payment on the future home, I'd need to either sell the place, or at least get a cashout refi from it to get some of the equity out. If one were using the CAP rate calculation, how do you include the following? Do you include the future refi mortgage cost into expenses? How do you include possible one time costs to fixup the place for renting? Is there a way to budget safely for potential special assessments?

I also know a lot of people "trade up" from one house to the next as they sell it to put towards the down payment for their next home. How do you decide if this is the right choice? 

Sorry for all the questions, as I said, I'm new to all of this and trying to learn. Thank you for reading through my post! 

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
4y

@Jason Chan, Condos are typically are not our first choice when it comes to rentals. Primarily because of HOAs and sometimes unpredicted expensive assessments. 

If you have no HOA restrictions on your current condo, you can rent it out. If there are restrictions, you may need to sell it out

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2021 · 312 posts · 282 votes
    4y

    Hi Jason, first off - congrats on buying in a hot market!

    Cap rate is only one part of the equation, and it's only helpful when comparing properties to one another, and it doesn't include any mortgage or capex. I would see how much equity you would be able to pull out of the condo, then supplement it with cash reserves for your down payment, then rent out your condo. 

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Jason Chan, Condos are typically are not our first choice when it comes to rentals. Primarily because of HOAs and sometimes unpredicted expensive assessments. 

    If you have no HOA restrictions on your current condo, you can rent it out. If there are restrictions, you may need to sell it out

  • Aaron NelsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 307 posts · 191 votes
    4y

    Hi @Jason Chan - I have a number of clients who I'm helping with similar decisions now. Instead of cap rate, calculate your Return on Equity if you kept and rented the condo. Take the potential rental income, subtract all expenses including the mortgage payment and HOA and then divide by the amount of equity you have in the condo. Is this an amount you're happy with? If so great if not, it could be time to sell.

    If you need assistance feel free to reach out and I’m happy to help you with the analysis! 😊 

    There are of course other factors to consider but this is a good starting place. Condos are typically tough to hold as investments long term due to the HOAs but you never know until you do the numbers.  

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    4y

    @Jason Chan- for the future down payment funds -consider getting a HELOC on the condo ( depending on the amount of equity you have in it ) ......if you try to do a cash out refinance - most lenders max loan to value for a cash out refinance is 75% of appraised value

    when trying to determine if renting condo makes sense - if you want it to breakeven or to have a small negative rent - add up mortgage payment / taxes / ins / dues / mtg ins if you pay it ......what is this total ? make sure to include the HELOC payment if you get one ... what can you realistically rent the unit for

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.