legal responsibility for handicap entrance??/SFR

legal responsibility for handicap entrance??/SFR

Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 23 votes

I have a SFR that is not set up for handicap access. I just had someone ask me if they could set up a handicap ramp if they were to be accepted as a tenant. What responsibility do I have as a landlord to provide handicap access? As it is now, it is definitely not handicap friendly. Gravel driveway, steep steps in the front, would have to roll through uneven clumpy grass to get to the back entrance. which still has a few steps. Please don't get me wrong, I think handicap options are definitely needed more, but just wanted to know what my legal responsibilities are as a landlord. I don't know if this matters, but we only own 2 investment properties.

0Reply
10 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Carol Burns:

    I have a SFR that is not set up for handicap access. I just had someone ask me if they could set up a handicap ramp if they were to be accepted as a tenant. What responsibility do I have as a landlord to provide handicap access? As it is now, it is definitely not handicap friendly. Gravel driveway, steep steps in the front, would have to roll through uneven clumpy grass to get to the back entrance. which still has a few steps. Please don't get me wrong, I think handicap options are definitely needed more, but just wanted to know what my legal responsibilities are as a landlord. I don't know if this matters, but we only own 2 investment properties.

    The law says you should make a "reasonable" accommodation for handicapped individuals. If it is unreasonable, then you are under no obligation to accept it. A perfect example would be a brownstone in Harlem. The steps are so steep that you could not possibly install a wheelchair ramp.


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.