Raise the rent or not in our duplex where we live? North Jersey

Raise the rent or not in our duplex where we live? North Jersey

Real Estate Agent · Fairview, NJ · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Background:

Hi,

I own and live in a two family home where I rent one of the apartments (above mine) out to a small family. The apartment is a renovated 3br, 1 bath in northern NJ with heat and hot water included. Their 2yr lease is almost over and overall they have been pretty good tenants (they are our first ones!). 

When they signed the lease we gave them a $50 discount for a 2yr vs 1yr duration, and managed to have them not pay the brokerage fee (saving them $2150 or a month's rent) when they decided to sign. Flash forward two years later and the lease is about to expire and we're on the fence about raising the rent of not so looking for others with no bias to weigh in. 

Here's why I think we should raise the rent by $20-$70 a month:

-Originally they moved in as a family of three (Father, mother, and small child) but they then moved in their mother without specifically asking for permission (they said she was going to stay awhile). Only real expense is water but she can be annoying as she smokes and goes inside and out often. 

-They refuse to lock the common area doors (front door, and door to basement w/ laundry) - I've asked them a few times. The grandmother and son both smoke and I think they are just lazy to lock doors even when they retire for the evening! I purchased electronic self locks but they were about $200 a pop!

-They sometimes leave the windows open, even if its really cold (20-30F)! This is really annoying. I did tell them about it and they drastically reduced the times they did this but do see them still do it once in a while. They are of Asian descent and I think in their culture they like to have fresh air, especially while cooking which is understandable as their kitchen does not have an outside venting fan. The heat is included in their rent so I see it as my money flying out the window and contradicts something below.

-Our utilities and tax expenses have increased, plus their mom coming adds more water usage but I Imagine its just a few dollars a month.

Here's why I think we should NOT raise the rent:

-They have never missed a rent payment.

-They are decent people overall - quiet with the exception the doors slamming once in a while and heavy footsteps on the stairs (but that's more the fault of uncarpeted stairs). No arguing, yelling - we hardly hear them when upstairs except for an occasional kid crying or mother yelling. 

-We have been friendly and exchanged gifts for their child and ours. 

- They have had to buy a portable A/C unit to cool rooms without wall A/C

-Their living room is cooler because of its high ceiling, 3 outside walls, and radiators that do not heat up as hot due to being in the end of the "line", so they use a radiator heater to supplement heat and have mentioned it is cold (which is true - by why leave windows open then?)

Compromise?

One idea is to offer the same rent (no increase) in exchange for another 2 year lease with an understanding to remedy the above. If they elect to stay for one year, we would increase the rent by $50-$70 as we feel that would indicate they plan to leave soon. They also have use of laundry in our basement at no additional cost. No off-street parking is included. Its a 3 bedroom, 1 bath, upstairs apartment in Northern NJ. 

Is $20-$70 a month worth annoying a mostly decent tenant who can become annoying or have resentment about the rent increase? My worry is they could easily get annoyed which can backfire on our quality of life and become resentful. 

What would you do? 

0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y

I don't think you're being honest in the evaluation.

Two years ago, you gave them a $50 decrease from market value. Rent rates in NJ increased about 15% just in the last year, and they increased in 2020, as well. You've got to be below market.

On top of that, you're paying their heat and water. What's the actual cost of heat and water in an average apartment? According to a quick Google search, it's an average of $150 a month for those two utilities. If they have grandma home all the time and they occasionally leave windows open, you may be paying more.

You're making a common mistake: the tenant pays on time, so you don't want to rock the boat and scare them off. But did you know there are millions and millions of good renters that pay market rate, and they also pay on time? I have 400 rentals under management and this month I had two tenants not pay on time. One of them paid the day I served notice and the other will probably be evicted. 

I'm just giving advice from a business perspective. Good tenants pay market rates, on time, and they obey simple rules like closing doors and windows. The cost of your insurance and utilities have probably all increased 10% or more in the last couple of years. Your tenants were at least $50 below market two years ago. All evidence points to them being at least 10% below market right now AND they are not perfect renters. I would bump them to market (possibly higher) or let them move on.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Central U. S. A. · Member since 2013 · 296 posts · 149 votes
    4y
    Quote from @John Lunias:

    Background:

    Hi,

    I own and live in a two family home where I rent one of the apartments (above mine) out to a small family. The apartment is a renovated 3br, 1 bath in northern NJ with heat and hot water included. Their 2yr lease is almost over and overall they have been pretty good tenants (they are our first ones!). 

    When they signed the lease we gave them a $50 discount for a 2yr vs 1yr duration, and managed to have them not pay the brokerage fee (saving them $2150 or a month's rent) when they decided to sign. Flash forward two years later and the lease is about to expire and we're on the fence about raising the rent of not so looking for others with no bias to weigh in. 

    Here's why I think we should raise the rent by $20-$70 a month:

    -Originally they moved in as a family of three (Father, mother, and small child) but they then moved in their mother without specifically asking for permission (they said she was going to stay awhile). Only real expense is water but she can be annoying as she smokes and goes inside and out often. 

    -They refuse to lock the common area doors (front door, and door to basement w/ laundry) - I've asked them a few times. The grandmother and son both smoke and I think they are just lazy to lock doors even when they retire for the evening! I purchased electronic self locks but they were about $200 a pop!

    -They sometimes leave the windows open, even if its really cold (20-30F)! This is really annoying. I did tell them about it and they drastically reduced the times they did this but do see them still do it once in a while. They are of Asian descent and I think in their culture they like to have fresh air, especially while cooking which is understandable as their kitchen does not have an outside venting fan. The heat is included in their rent so I see it as my money flying out the window and contradicts something below.

    -Our utilities and tax expenses have increased, plus their mom coming adds more water usage but I Imagine its just a few dollars a month.

    Here's why I think we should NOT raise the rent:

    -They have never missed a rent payment.

    -They are decent people overall - quiet with the exception the doors slamming once in a while and heavy footsteps on the stairs (but that's more the fault of uncarpeted stairs). No arguing, yelling - we hardly hear them when upstairs except for an occasional kid crying or mother yelling. 

    -We have been friendly and exchanged gifts for their child and ours. 

    - They have had to buy a portable A/C unit to cool rooms without wall A/C

    -Their living room is cooler because of its high ceiling, 3 outside walls, and radiators that do not heat up as hot due to being in the end of the "line", so they use a radiator heater to supplement heat and have mentioned it is cold (which is true - by why leave windows open then?)

    Compromise?

    One idea is to offer the same rent (no increase) in exchange for another 2 year lease with an understanding to remedy the above. If they elect to stay for one year, we would increase the rent by $50-$70 as we feel that would indicate they plan to leave soon. They also have use of laundry in our basement at no additional cost. No off-street parking is included. Its a 3 bedroom, 1 bath, upstairs apartment in Northern NJ. 

    Is $20-$70 a month worth annoying a mostly decent tenant who can become annoying or have resentment about the rent increase? My worry is they could easily get annoyed which can backfire on our quality of life and become resentful. 

    What would you do? 


  • Rental Property Investor · Burlington County, NJ · Member since 2019 · 540 posts · 771 votes
    4y

    I'd have to get my wife to agree to do this, but I would seek to raise the rent about 4% due to the overall market rent rates in my area being up 4-7% over the last year. Our various costs are up due to inflation--dwelling insurance on our properties, gas prices to travel to and from properties, repairs cost, etc.  While the other pros and cons reflect your relationship with your residents, the economics of the local real estate market--the primary determinants of rents--are not impacted by them.  Neither should, in my view (again, not my wife's) is that you should raise the rent. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Manchester, NH · Member since 2015 · 160 posts · 148 votes
    4y

    @John Lunias In an ideal world you would want to raise the rent to keep it up to market rates.  However, I have personally struggled with this same issue and I have chosen to leave the rent alone while I house hacking a property. I like your idea of offering to keep the rent the same if they sign a new lease and if they choose not to than their rent would be raised.  Doing this you are putting the ball in their court which definitely makes it a little easier as this way you aren't raising their rent, instead they are if they choose not to resign for another year and continue on a month to month basis! I hope this helps and good luck with your investing!  

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Why would they have had to pay a brokerage fee?  Are you using a property manager?

    They have broken the lease by moving in the mom, they leave the place unlocked, they leave windows open and you pay for heating and you already gave them a decreased rent.

    If rent is currently $2150-what do similar units go for now in your area?  If they can afford $2150/month in rent, a $100 increase is going to be affordable.

    Definitely increase the rent as prices have gone up over the last 2 years.  Only sign a 1 year lease and do not give them a discount.  See how much your bills have increased from when they first moved in until now-then add that to their rent. 

  • Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 731 votes
    4y

    @John Lunias, it sounds like you're torn between wanting to treat them fairly and not lose additional profit.  Which is fair but often counterproductive.

    My best advice: justify and explain the raised rents if you want to keep the tenants.  Sounds like you already have.

    You can literally show the increase in property taxes year-to-year, that's public info.  And most reasonable tenants will understand if you bring it to their attention.  For grandma, bring it to their attention about the extra water another human uses.  In the new lease, either add an extended guest clause with a fee due to the water or add her to the lease which helps justify increased utilities fees.  Nobody likes to pay more but if you can justify why you're raising rents then you'll increase your odds of retaining them.

    On the other end, I look at the risk:reward.  For $20 more per month, what if they move out?  Now you have a vacancy, repairs and additional expenses that could easily be $1k+, all for an additional $240 annually.  I wouldn't make that small of an increase as that's annoying and risky.  Ask your tenants if they want to sign another 2-year lease but this time add in the $50 discount as a 2-year offer only and clearly state month-25's rent indicating an automatic increase of $50.

    Lastly, I'm sure you mean no mal intent but be aware of your Asian descent comment. National origin and race are both protected classes from FHA. Therefore, you could get in a lot of trouble justifying an increase of rent because their culture "prefers fresh air". Especially when you immediately followed that with there's no outside venting fan.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @John Lunias

    What is market rent today vs 2 years ago?

    I’d go $100 increase. $20 isn’t even worth sending them a notice for.

    I have a duplex.. one side rented March 2020 at $1100. Other side rented Sept 2021 $1400. I raised the $1100 tenant $50 a few months ago. could have easily gone $100. See the difference between 3/20 and 9/21?

    Go $100.. if rents by you have climbed, they won’t go anywhere because of a $100 increase.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
    4y

    Raise the rent even if it’s $25 a month . cost-of-living go up annually . 
    this is a business

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @John Lunias  Raise the rent to market or slightly below for a 1 year lease. Give them notice required by law. There is no advantage to you of a 2 year lease, no judge will hold them accountable for more then a month or two if they leave early, a lease isn't keeping them there.  Your costs are going up and rents have gone up.  More water, heat out the window, higher utility prices. You deserve to be paid adequately, if you don't increase you are taking a pay cut.   You solved the lack of locking with the autolock but you should recoup that cost, you can even make it clear how they are increasing the costs.  You should institute a fine for open window, first time warning next time it is a fine.  Put this in your lease that for a lease violation it is first time a warning and second violation a fine.  Send these in writing.Take a picture of open window and send them a lease violation and a bill.  Let them know this change is a direct result of verbal warning not being effective.  

    The heat, if you are heating to temperatures required by law in your area then no problem. If not you need to solve that issue by adding a supplemental heat source where it is too cold or fix heat or move thermostats.  You can put a supplement heat source on electric but make it clear they pay for that. I am not sure how you manage this in your lease when you say heat included you might want to clarify that you pay for central heat only. Is this two levels?  I know I have had to explain that closing doors to an upstairs keeps heat downstairs to some people, they just didn't get the hot air rises lesson.   As for AC units, that is something they knew on renting so why would that be an issue. Lastly, You have to separate landlord from friends.  I would keep them as aquaintances only.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Fairview, NJ · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Thanks everyone for weighing in! 

    I have just ran a comparison to other rentals in our town and our neighboring towns and see listings for $2,200 for comparable apartments. One or two even include an extra bath or even an entire garage or in unit laundry (the laundry is shared, and in the basement, requiring walking down two flights and outside with street parking). Some do not include heat though. I think if we decide to increase the rent $50 is enough without pushing it.

    Had we not live in the duplex ourselves, we wouldn't hesitate to increase the rent but given they live above us we feel that peace and quiet are worth considering keeping the rent the same or just a minor increase. And one of the posters above made a good point about a vacancy being a huge expense. Just one month of vacancy will cost us over $2,000. Something that even $100 increase a year won't cover. 

    Regardless of where we land with increase or not, when we present the renewal I'll make a letter and make it clear about the issues - additional persons moving in, keeping windows closed, and doors being closed and locked. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    I don't think you're being honest in the evaluation.

    Two years ago, you gave them a $50 decrease from market value. Rent rates in NJ increased about 15% just in the last year, and they increased in 2020, as well. You've got to be below market.

    On top of that, you're paying their heat and water. What's the actual cost of heat and water in an average apartment? According to a quick Google search, it's an average of $150 a month for those two utilities. If they have grandma home all the time and they occasionally leave windows open, you may be paying more.

    You're making a common mistake: the tenant pays on time, so you don't want to rock the boat and scare them off. But did you know there are millions and millions of good renters that pay market rate, and they also pay on time? I have 400 rentals under management and this month I had two tenants not pay on time. One of them paid the day I served notice and the other will probably be evicted. 

    I'm just giving advice from a business perspective. Good tenants pay market rates, on time, and they obey simple rules like closing doors and windows. The cost of your insurance and utilities have probably all increased 10% or more in the last couple of years. Your tenants were at least $50 below market two years ago. All evidence points to them being at least 10% below market right now AND they are not perfect renters. I would bump them to market (possibly higher) or let them move on.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @John Lunias How far below market rent does that $50 raise put you? times that amount by 12 and compare it to your turnover cost.  If you are $200 below market that is $2400 plus whatever you save by getting someone who closes the windows.

    If you keep them I would encourage you NOT to write a detailed letter in case there is an issue down the road it could be used against you. I would be particularly careful about how you address the additional occupant.   Have a discussion stating the issues and informing them what you will do when they have violations again. Your lease should say but usually a verbal warning is followed by cure or quit forms for lease violations.   For the extra person focus on all people must be on lease and increased people increases cost utilities, don't say anything that could be interpreted as it is too many people.

    You could raise it $70 or $80 or $120. What is inflation?   $50 is 2.5% increase on $2000, Inflation is higher than that.  They are not likely moving if they can't get a comparable place for the rent.

    @Nathan Gesner is correct, included utilities are a big benefit to their budget.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.