Need to raise rent upon yearly inspection findings

Need to raise rent upon yearly inspection findings

Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi There, 

I am new to bigger pockets. I am a rookie property manager wanting to manage our rentals myself now. Hoping to get some guidance on my issue. After doing my yearly inspections. I found that tenants were not on their own disposing of trash like they said they would and also have rodent issues because of it. I mentioned in a text that I would be raising the rent to accomodate trash service and pest control. They insisted they would order the services on their own if they could NOT have rent raised. I gave them a chance... 

Now I am here (lesson learned) need to know how to send them a notice. I need to address what needs to change and also address that there is going to be a rent increase to accomodate the services. I have heard of fix or quit. I am in California. Has anyone had to do this before? If so what are the steps. 

Also if anyone has any cheat websites that have the proper forms with proper notice deadlines for California I would greatly appreciate the resource. Thank you!

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y

I believe you're making a mistake. Rather than raise the rent to compensate you for the mess, you should give them notice of non-renewal and move them out. They are unlikely to get better and the rodents can cause additional damage that a rent increase won't cover.

You can purchase "Every Landlord's Legal Guide - California Edition" from NOLO. That's the best single resource for practical advice and the state laws. You can also consider joining the American Apartment Owners Association. It's pretty cheap and includes forms, training, and other resources. 

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    I believe you're making a mistake. Rather than raise the rent to compensate you for the mess, you should give them notice of non-renewal and move them out. They are unlikely to get better and the rodents can cause additional damage that a rent increase won't cover.

    You can purchase "Every Landlord's Legal Guide - California Edition" from NOLO. That's the best single resource for practical advice and the state laws. You can also consider joining the American Apartment Owners Association. It's pretty cheap and includes forms, training, and other resources. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    As @Nathan Gesner said, do not renew them! Some tenants are just not good tenants.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    I know you are in California so this may be more difficult there than other places.  Just paying rent on time is the minimum expectation and does not define someone as a good tenant.  These people are content to live in trash with vermin and are not the kinds of people you want in your property.  I’m assuming they are paying since you didn’t mention they weren’t but they need to go ASAP.  Your expenses are going to be way more than trash and pest control ad you need to cut your losses.  
  • Greg WeikBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 263 posts · 327 votes
    4y

    I agree with @Nathan Gesner but I would also just request that you do not call yourself a property manager.  You are a private landlord and that is very different.  If you do not have any formal training, if you don't possess a real estate license, if you do not have an understanding of the proper systems and legal documents, if you are not familiar with the Warranty of Habitability, etc., you are not a property manager.  You are a private landlord. 

    You're not a lawyer if you represent yourself in court. 

    No offense intended, but those of us that put in the time and dedication to make this a career, are property managers. 

    Real Estate Solutions4.4389 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Got it! Private landlord. Thank you all for your help.
  • Chad HalePro Member
    Property Manager / Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 779 posts · 301 votes
    4y

    @Alicia Lopez  Look at California Apartment Association.  They have lots of great forms and materials.  It will cost you a couple hundred dollars but well worth it.  I have no relationship to them...  Just sharing a great landlord resource for people in California.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.