Lessons I have learned from owning & managing SFR's

Lessons I have learned from owning & managing SFR's

Investor 路 Omaha, NE 路 Member since 2019 路 130 posts 路 139 votes

馃彔 Sharing some lessons I have learned from owning & managing a portfolio of single family properties over the last 5 years in the Omaha, Nebraska market:

If just starting out don鈥檛 undervalue the power of locking in historic interest rates for 30 years on conventional loans. You get 10 of these conventional loans if you qualify!

If owning a couple of single family rentals do not rely on the cash flow to be steady or consistent. Large expenses wipe away this amount for long periods of time, but this does not mean they are bad investments.

When you hit say 10+ single family rentals the cash flow becomes much more consistent. Maintenance budgets also become more realistic month to month. You can absorb large expenses within your monthly budgets. 

The vacancy factor becomes more powerful as you scale. If you have 10 rentals that have all successfully collected for 1 year that is 120 months of straight occupancy! If you have 1 single family rental it would take 10 years to achieve the same record.

Scheduling leases to end during spring and summer months can help fill vacancies faster. Would not have all leases ending in the exact same month, but rather try spreading them out over say March to August time. 

When you have scale, buying something at or near market value can make more sense than if you have 1 or 2 as it can plug into your existing systems seamlessly.

The key systems I have benefitted from are proper tenant screening through credit/background checks & references, online rent collection, regular maintenance visits, strong leases that will hold up for collections, reliable contractors, & regular punch lists.

Reliable contractors are hard to come by and when you find ones that stick, treat you fairly, and respond promptly don't forget to value them. We are in a mindset to constantly reduce expenses which is an important aspect to monitor, but do not compromise the service providers who perform well for you even if they are a little higher in price than a general handyman. A large part of your success in this business comes from quality service providers. 

You should have confidence in the quality of residents in your properties. You cannot catch everything and there are certainly uncontrollable events that happen, but being able to have this confidence will go a long way in your peace of mind as well as your operational success.

Provide excellent tenant service that is fair and friendly. Stuff comes up in the first 30 days of a tenant move in, but usually settles down after that. This gives the tenant confidence in your management.

Patience helps when replying to non emergency tenant requests, especially ones that come up over the phone or in person. We are in a hurry to make real time decisions to requests, but saying you will double check and revert back can avoid uncertain decisions.

Hold tenant deposits in a separate account even if you just have 1 property. Mixing tenant deposits is illegal in many states and will also give you a false sense of security of how much operating capital you have.

Create sheets that track your equity & cash flow. Adjust them a few times throughout the year with updated loan balances, rent rolls, insurance premiums, & property taxes.

Create a sheet with your insurance premiums for each policy that include the premium, deductible, expiration date, and who all are included under the policy such as which bank is financing that property. I found using one or two insurance providers for a portfolio of properties is much easier than communicating with separate contacts for each in order to save a little. I used to prepay the policy in full for the year to save 5%, but switched to escrow them monthly as many conventional mortgage providers require you to escrow insurance & taxes together so in effect you are holding up extra money you do not need to.

It is difficult to scale with single family homes unless you are getting consistent opportunities to purchase properties at below market value.

Refinancing at market value will usually not make sense due to the rent to value becoming too far spread and causing negative or minimal cash flow. Nothing wrong with keeping that equity in the property while maintaining healthy cash flow levels.

I have used 15, 20, and 30 year amortization periods. They all have their benefits and it depends what your own investment goals and comfort levels are.

--

Would love to hear lessons and tips others have learned!

11Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor 路 Wilmington NC 路 Member since 2017 路 48 posts 路 27 votes
4y

WOW, This is one of the most thorough, concise and useful posts I鈥檝e read since I鈥檝e been following BiggerPockets. Thanks for posting.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Omaha, NE 路 Member since 2020 路 611 posts 路 665 votes
    4y

    This is so amazingly thorough, it blows my mind. Just tucked it away in my folder of REI resources. Thanks for the thoughtful post!

  • Investor 路 Wilmington NC 路 Member since 2017 路 48 posts 路 27 votes
    4y

    WOW, This is one of the most thorough, concise and useful posts I鈥檝e read since I鈥檝e been following BiggerPockets. Thanks for posting.

  • Investor 路 Philadelphia, PA 路 Member since 2015 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Satyam Mistry

    Agree

  • Member since 2021 路 1 post 路 1 vote
    4y

    Thank you for this information. I'm new to real estate and actually looking to build a portfolio of out-of-state assets. These lessons that you've learned and shared will help me a lot. 

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA 路 Member since 2009 路 1k+ posts 路 863 votes
    4y

    Good insight 

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Omaha, NE 路 Member since 2021 路 21 posts 路 15 votes
    4y

    Great value in the information you provided!  What part(s) of Omaha do you invest in?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2019 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    4y

    Great stuff!!! What's next for you?!

  • Investor 路 Omaha, NE 路 Member since 2019 路 130 posts 路 139 votes
    4y

    @Ryan Miller Hello Ryan, I have them mostly of west of 72nd St in Omaha, but also have some others in areas such as Benson, Bellevue, etc. I look at the quality of the neighborhood and if it is a SFH if I can consistently get a quality $1500/month tenant in the property.

    @Bud Gaffney Hello Bud, I am expanding into more multi family assets as well as development. Currently in the pre construction process to build a duplex and plan on being the GC for the project to gain experience.

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 Grand Prairie, TX 路 Member since 2018 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    4y

    I don鈥檛 sweat the small stuff. If I suspect a tenant causing something to break like an appliance, I just take care of it and not accuse them of anything. I make a mental note to myself to raise their rent a little extra more than I was planning on next time around on their new lease. I鈥檒l get that $ back. lol. The ones that seem to cause more problems get big increases in rent so it all works out. My low maintenance tenants that never bother me get to stay way under market rent. I self manage and very thankful for all my low maintenance tenants that fix all the little things on their own and not bother. I鈥檒l keep them forever with low rent. I have around 7 properties with that type of tenant.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Omaha, NE 路 Member since 2018 路 22 posts 路 14 votes
    4y

    I'll start adding here and there as I think about it, but that's a great list.  

    I can tell you that taking photos during a move-in walkthrough has helped quite a bit.  I use zInspector, it's an App where I'll take 40-50 photos, then you can make notes about condition of each room, it's very detailed.  The property manager or landlord and tenant both sign, then a copy of the report with photos is emailed to all parties.

    I would also suggest that you update all of your properties: stainless apps, backsplash, counters, nice flooring, etc.  You'll receive top of the market rents and record low vacancies.  I'll often times have properties rented well before my previous tenant has moved out.  I've managed 15-20 properties in West Omaha for 7-8 years and I can't remember having a property vacant for more than a week.  If the property is updated, you also have a very liquid asset, one that you can sell for top dollar very quickly if necessary.  I prefer to update them when I buy them, that way the house is only vacant in the first 30 days when there isn't a mortgage payment due.  

    Accepting rent payments electronically was by far the biggest game changer for me over that same time frame.  I never really had an issue with late payments, but hearing "the check is in the mail" just once is more than enough.  I wouldn't handle property management without it.  After accepting electronic payments, late payments basically became non-existent.

    I also install sprinkler systems at my properties ($2,500-$3,000) and pay for a 5-6 step fertilization program ($200-$250/year).  Both are a requirement unless you want your yard to look like it's a rental property.  An appraiser will give you 100% value for a sprinkler system, the tenants love it, it saves your yard, and it's a nice marketing bonus when you go to sell...no brainer.

    Fenced yards are also a huge plus, 70% of potential tenants will have pets so you should plan on it as well.  Keep it in mind when choosing flooring.  I usually charge an extra $25/pet per month.

    Always advertise "flexible lease terms", even if you're aiming for a 12 month lease.  You could get a better offer, for example a short term lease at 25% above market...if you keep your options open.

    Don't get in to multi-year leases.  If someone wants a 2-year or more lease, tell them you'd be happy to renew in 12 months if they pay on time and keep the house in good condition.  You'll want the rent flexibility and long term leases aren't usually as marketable when selling.

    If you like to save some money and do some of your own work, you can have a painting crew make your house "roll ready".  They'll tape and/or paint all the corners, trim, windows, doors, and ceiling lines so all you have to do is walk in and roll everything in between.  Super easy, fast, and saves some money.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.