Separate Bank Accounts for Property Income/Expenses?

Separate Bank Accounts for Property Income/Expenses?

Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 8 votes

So I'm still in the learning process of real estate investing and this question randomly came to me. For those of you who currently have property and have (rental) income generating from it, do you have separate bank accounts for the income/expenses on those properties? I imagine everyone has their own personal checking and savings and was wondering if people have any additional accounts for these. Especially if your real estate investments/business are not your full-time job. And regardless of the answer, what is your reasoning for doing things the way you do in regards to your accounts? And an additional question if anyone just does it through their normal accounts, how do you keep track of the expenses and things like capex reserves on your properties?

Lastly, what should a new investor consider when deciding how to set up their accounts? I know it'll depend on everyone's own situation but any aspects I can look at, especially if they're not immediately obvious, would be useful to know.

0Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 · 67 posts · 52 votes
5y

I highly recommend separate accounts. I have a separate checking account for each of my properties where I manage their finances. For the one that I self-manage, I also have a separate interest money market account where I hold the security deposit (if you use a property manager, they often manage this). Even if you have a property management company, it's worth isolating a checking account to keep things in order. Best of luck! 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 67 posts · 52 votes
    5y

    I highly recommend separate accounts. I have a separate checking account for each of my properties where I manage their finances. For the one that I self-manage, I also have a separate interest money market account where I hold the security deposit (if you use a property manager, they often manage this). Even if you have a property management company, it's worth isolating a checking account to keep things in order. Best of luck! 

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    I use separate bank accounts and CC's that way the bank does my accounting and year end work.

  • Simon W.Business Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    5y

    there's literally hundreds of posts asking the same thing you are asking. Practically everyday someone is asking this question.

    Accounting Properties LLC
    View Page
    CFO LLC
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y

    I would at least have a checking and savings acct for rentals separate from your main household accts. 

    One for each house sounds excessive.  I have one per entity for my commercial assets, but starting out with  1 on up to a handful of houses, one checking and savings acct would suffice I would think. Then track each property wth a spreadsheet or simple PM software. 

  • Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Get a separate account. It will be so much easier to show the status of the security deposit if that ever comes into question. Also it makes tracking expenses for tax filing so much easier. Get a debit card for the account.

  • Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    I appreciate all the responses everyone! I'll definitely have to look more into how I should set these up for myself.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2021 · 125 posts · 64 votes
    5y

    @Cody Benedetto

    Is there a limit to how many accounts you can have open with the same bank?

  • Investor · Indianapolis IN · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Comingling of personal and business funds is a big no no. Definitely want to separate those. Strongly consider a separate credit card for your business transactions as well.

  • New to Real Estate · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Never mix personal accounts with rental accounts. Plus, it'll be easier for your tax purposes for you CPA. 

  • Member since 2021 · 67 posts · 52 votes
    5y

    @Carl Flint not that I’m aware of, I’d talk to your bank and tell them specifically what you need your accounts for. They should advise on what accounts are best to use for rental income/expenses. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.