What type of Tax/Financial Professional do I need?

What type of Tax/Financial Professional do I need?

CA · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 65 votes

So taxes and planning are finally getting outside my abilities I think.  We currently have:

W2 income with 401k  & live in CA 

Slow Live in flip in CA that will  done in about a year 

Sole Proprietorship in CA-very small side hustle but went legit as it is growing (hope to open a self directed IRA next year)

Rental properties in NM 

Vacant improved land to develop in NM-in the next few years 


Plans  to purchase additional rentals in the next few years in yet another state-undecided where. 

I want someone who can help me make good decisions now as we plan for the future.  

I’m an obsessive record keeper and use Quickbooks for the sole proprietorship and keep binders for each property so I would be able to hand over good books every year.  I don’t need help with that.  

I need help with understanding taxes and implications to make good decisions as we move forward and to complete federal and state taxes yearly in the most advantageous manner given our situation. 

 I  know enough to know I do not know enough and I do not have the time to learn enough to do it on my own anymore.  But I’d expect the professional to be willing to explain things and the pros and cons of each decision.  

Do I need two different professionals to accomplish my goal? 

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Dallas, Ft. Worth · Member since 2020 · 52 posts · 27 votes
6y

Sacha, I echo what Brandon said. Most personal/small business CPAs should be able to help you both strategize how to structure your business from a tax perspective, as well as help you work through all the necessary forms and filings to make your businesses legal structure as efficient as possible.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Financial Advisor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 96 votes
    6y

    I think you need a CPA that understands real estate and acts as a consultant on business set up / entities.  I'm an investment adviser and independent investor and I use a CPA.  

    You may also want a financial planner / mentor to help you think strategically about the long-game with your investments and businesses.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, Ft. Worth · Member since 2020 · 52 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    Sacha, I echo what Brandon said. Most personal/small business CPAs should be able to help you both strategize how to structure your business from a tax perspective, as well as help you work through all the necessary forms and filings to make your businesses legal structure as efficient as possible.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Sacha LaCoss

    Are you open to working with an accountant remotely?

    I would prioritize finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation over one that is local.
    There are 20+ accountants on this message board who specialize in real estate taxation. Feel free to reach out to a couple and use the one you connect with the most.

  • CA · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 65 votes
    6y

    Thank you all, I appreciate the Info/advice.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.