First BRRRR Deal: Appraisal came back waaaay higher than expected

First BRRRR Deal: Appraisal came back waaaay higher than expected

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 180 posts · 66 votes

I find myself in an odd position. I just got back the appraised ARV value on my first BRRRR deal and I was hoping for/ expecting a value of 140K. Well, it came back at 180K. I don't actually believe the home is worth that much.

My total cost to purchase and gut renovate the 3 bed 1 bath rowhome was 110K. I was hoping to simply cover my costs and have the 110K back to use on my next purchase and renovation. It seems like I will be able to borrow 135K as cash out on the deal, but I don't know if its wise to take that much out against it. There will be very little actual equity in the house if I borrow all the money.

If I only borrow 110K, my monthly principle, interest, taxes and insurance ( PITI ) will be $745. To borrow 135K will cost $875 per month. The loan is a commercial cash out refinance at 4.75% with a 5 year rate reset and a 10 year balloon.

The property rents for $1,350 per month. I was thinking it would be wise to keep my payment as low as possible, but this seems like an opportunity to borrow at a low rate.

I am trying to grow my portfolio quickly and I do have another purchase lined up. What would you guys suggest? Is there a reason not to take the larger loan? Any advice is appreciated! 

Thanks in advance!

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    You still have plenty of cash flow, so I'd take the extra money 

  • Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 40 votes
    10y
    Garrett M. Since your rent would cover 135k loan, I would take 135k loan, and use extra 25k for down payment for your next rental purchase. You are absolutely right about using low interest money for next down payment and build more cash flow as well as equity. My 2 cents.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.