Cash reserves vs. line of credit availability

Cash reserves vs. line of credit availability

Real Estate Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 0 votes

Hi BP community.  

I'm a buy-and-hold investor with a nice little portfolio (16 units) of cash-flowing properties.  Was chatting with a friend recently about how my return on equity is a little bit less than what I originally forecasted for the portfolio because I hold about $20k in cash reserves for emergency repairs.  Since I started investing about 3 years ago, I've always been able to pay for repairs from cash flow pretty easily.  I've had a few repairs in the $3k range, and it's been no sweat to cover them without looking to reserves.  So - my question:

Instead of holding $20k in cash reserves and losing out on potential return by not leverage/deploying that capital, does it make sense to instead just open a line of credit against a property so I have capital available in the event that I need it?  It would serve the purpose of having access to funds for an emergency, but would reduce the cash drag on the portfolio.

For what it's worth, I hold another $20k or so in personal cash reserves that are separate from my real estate accounts - in case I lose my job, etc.  I have some other other liquid accessible investments as well.  I'm not planning on moving those funds and could always tap them in a bind as well.    

It's a broad topic, but what do you think?  In general, I'm generally trying to wrap my head around a personal policy for reserves.  Appreciate your input.  Best,

Dan

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
11y

@Daniel C. I see a lot of value in having a credit line available at a moments notice.  You never know when a deal might present itself.  A couple times I borrowed against a 401k to lock up a couple smaller deals.   Check out unsecured line of credits.  They are usually tougher to get and start out small.

Frank

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    11y

    @Daniel C. I see a lot of value in having a credit line available at a moments notice.  You never know when a deal might present itself.  A couple times I borrowed against a 401k to lock up a couple smaller deals.   Check out unsecured line of credits.  They are usually tougher to get and start out small.

    Frank

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 227 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    If you persue a line of credit- can you secure it with the equity of one or two of your investment holdings? I would not suggest pledging all of them because the bank with cross collateralize them all.

    Free up the cash and make it work for you and use the line (which shouldn't really cost you anything to just have there) be your safety net!

  • Property Manager · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2012 · 267 posts · 136 votes
    11y

    Are any of these paid off, all leveraged??

    In terms of deploying capital, if you have a fair amount of equity I would look at a portfolio loan so all your properties are under one monthly payment and you receive any cash out your equity positions will allow.  Depending on what that is you can deploy your capital and the 20k cash you have.  Just open a line for emergency funds.

    If you want to stay more conservative then don't touch a few properties that cash flow well and blanket mortgage the rest.

  • Investor · Newark, DE · Member since 2014 · 245 posts · 198 votes
    11y

    I am in a similar situation, with about a dozen properties. I have 3-4 of my properties with HELOCs in first position; any cash I have available goes to pay down the balances, and whenever I need money for a repair or a new purchase, I draw on the HELOCs. I honestly do not see the point in keeping cash reserves earning 0.05% or whatever it is these days. The only valid concern would be if you are afraid that your HELOC(s) may be frozen, but in my case, even if that happens I still have credit cards with substantial limits I could use for emergency repairs.

    As for a separate personal reserve - yeah, if you expect major repairs, extended multiple vacancies, a credit freeze and a job loss to happen to you at the same time, hypothetically you may end up needing it. Hypothetically, you may also need a boat in case there is a great flood and your city is submerged in 10 feet of water.

  • Real Estate Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thanks all for the thoughtful responses.  My properties are all leveraged - none are free and clear yet - but there is some equity in each.  Perhaps it makes sense to consider a blanket portfolio loan to efficiently extract what equity I can, then set up a separate line for emergencies.  

    I am risk averse so I've always liked having cash in case it's needed - but putting the assets to work has clear advantages.  

    Good food for thought.  I'll reach out to some bankers about a line of credit this week, and start to hunt for my next deal to get some of this cash to work.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.