Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Classifieds
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Inspectors for off market deals

Michelle Buckley
Posted

I’m looking for an investor- friendly inspector to inspect the deals I put under contract. Thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Doug Smith
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

I can hook you up with licensed home inspectors in the Tampa Bay market. What was your plan with respect to compensation for them? The reason I ask is that the last investor that asked me for a referral wanted to pay them on a contingency basis if the deal closed. That tidbit would help me know who to refer you to. 

User Stats

Votes
Michelle Buckley
Replied

Hi Doug, thanks for your comment. I will compensate per job they complete. I need an inspector who can look through the eyes of an investor (overlook cosmetic damages) and give me information on the big ticket items (roof, plumbing, dry rot, foundation, frame, etc).

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied

@Michelle Buckley, curious why you would not just find a quality home inspector in your market.  When I hear "investor-friendly" I think of someone that is wanting to spend less than market rate for a home inspection.  Not saying that is you, but that tends to be the typical trend.

I would say google home inspection Tampa, fl, and start calling several.  In my experience, a good home inspector will do just what you are asking.  They tend to not hit on cosmetic items, because those are clearly evident to anyone walking through the property.  So their focus is on the major items: is there dry rot/damage to visible framing components?  Is electrical up to snuff?  Are you getting slow drainage which may be a sign of sewer issues?

But with all inspections, they can only go so far.  If the inspector fills all tubs, then drains them all at once, while flushing a toilet, and things are very slow.  They will only mark on the report that you should hire someone to come scope the lines to understand exactly why things are not draining smoothly. 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Stern
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Hey MIchelle, I have a good inspector for off market properties. Just shoot me a dm if interested, thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Levi Flowers
  • Inspector
  • Tampa
Votes |
  • Inspector
  • Tampa
Replied

I am an investor and home inspector! DM sent!